cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 AF Limited to Center of View

tdivittis
Apprentice

My auto focus area is limited ot the center area of the view (both screen and EVF).  In other words, I cannot focus outside of the box, at all.  The box is delineated with corner markers, and this is true regardless what AF mode I use.  It is like this for tracking, point, single point, zones, servo/single shot.  I can move the focus point for any of these modes, but not to the edge of the view, only to the limits of the corner markers.

I noticed this box is much larger with a Sigma EF 35 than it is with the RF800, but still limited toward the center of the view.

Unless I'm crazy (I cannot rule that out), it was not like this originally, and

I have been playing around with the different settings, to see what gets me the best results.  I tried resetting the camera, and it was still there.  So maybe I am just crazy?

....yes, I have checked the manual several times.  I may have missed it, of course.GRRR.jpg

Firmware is 1.1.1

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If your image is what you see when you use one then RF 800mm f/11, then that is likely a result of the maximum aperture being limited to only f/11.  Check to see if the User Manual has a section about Lens Groups.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply.  The RF800 is fixed at f/11.  I did put the Sigma 15-600 back on, and see that it has the box, but much wider, and does not change size from f/5 to f/22.

I get a similar limit with other lenses, too, but much wider on all of them.  Maybe this is just how it is, and I didn't notice it, before.  That seems really odd, but could be the case.  This camera is quite different from the DSLRs.  So much change to get accustomed to, it may have been there before, and I just didn't see it.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

@tdivittis wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  The RF800 is fixed at f/11.  I did put the Sigma 15-600 back on, and see that it has the box, but much wider, and does not change size from f/5 to f/22.

I get a similar limit with other lenses, too, but much wider on all of them.  Maybe this is just how it is, and I didn't notice it, before.  That seems really odd, but could be the case.  This camera is quite different from the DSLRs.  So much change to get accustomed to, it may have been there before, and I just didn't see it.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Remember, the camera meters at maximum aperture of the lens, not the aperture setting of the exposure.  

When you put the Sigma 150-600mm lens on the camera, it was metering at f/5.  When you use other lenses, they camera meters at the maximum aperture of those lenses.  When you use the RF 800mm, the maximum aperture is f/11.

With DSLRs, you typicall lose AF points when the maximum aperture is f/8 or narrower.  It is common to lose AF points when you use a teleconverter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements