cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about lens and adapters from a new person into cameras!!

joshuakingson
Apprentice

I have just bought a Canon Eos M100 mirrorless camera

And I picked up a Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens, which doesn't seem to fit with my camera

I also noticed there are "adapters", so if I buy a adapter EF to EOS-M that means I can use this lens on my Eos m100?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@joshuakingson wrote:

I have just bought a Canon Eos M100 mirrorless camera

And I picked up a Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens, which doesn't seem to fit with my camera

I also noticed there are "adapters", so if I buy a adapter EF to EOS-M that means I can use this lens on my Eos m100?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lens adapters come in two basic flavors: those that allow the camera body and lens to communicate for autofocus; those that do not allow any communication between camera and lens.  The latter type are the cheapest ones that you will see, and are pretty useless with most autofocusing lenses because you do not have any aperture control..

Buy the Canon adapter.  

I use the Canon adapter with my M3.  I also use small lenses like the EF-S 24mm and EF-40mm pancake lenses.  The adapter comes with a tripod foot, to relieve the camera the weight of the larger lenses.  The larger lenses are sure to run the battery down faster, too, compared to the smaller lenses.

Once I purchased the EF-M 22mm f.2 STM lens, I stopped using the adapter.  I had found the perfect lens for the body.  The combo gives me an angle-of-view equivalent to 35mm on a full frame, and it has a wide aperture.

0920430038192018_08_201140150-2.jpg

Full disclosure:  I shoot with DSLRs for longer focal lengths.  The M3 is my pocket camera for street shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements