cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick control display gone (shutter button) on LCD monitor..model 70D

robiss
Apprentice

I've had my 70D for about 6 months, with no problems...  up until yesterday, when I  pushed the shutter button halfway, the LCD monitor would display the "Quick control" menu for 3-4 seconds...  this feature has disappeared...  I can push the "Q" button, & get the same thing... but this is inconvenient... I can toggle this display "ON" continuously, thru the "info" button; but I don't want that...  I even restored factory settings, after putting in a fresh battery...  I can't get this feature back..??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello Robiss,

Based on the information you've provided, it may be best to have our factory service center evaluate your camera. 

You may set up service through our web site, here. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

robiss
Apprentice

also....  I tried the "LCD off/on btn" set in both positions... it seems like the shutter button option should do it... but there appears to be no difference between the 2 settings..??

Tim
Authority

Hello Robiss,

Based on the information you've provided, it may be best to have our factory service center evaluate your camera. 

You may set up service through our web site, here. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

thanks Tim, for your evaluation... I kinda suspected a problem that would need to be a factory fix... can you tell me if there is a newer firmware available... I currently have 1.1.1... a firmware upgrade may make it easier to justify the hassle of sending this back, for what seems to be a pretty minor problem.... Robert

amfoto1
Authority

I don't understand why anyone would want the Quick menu to display for a few seconds every time they half pressed the shutter release button... i.e. right before each shot taken. Can you explain why anyone would want that?

My 7Ds don't do that. And I don't want them to. It would be distracting and intrusive to have the menu pop up on the screen right below my eye at teh viewfinder every time I start to shoot. I think some of the Rebel series cameras do something similar (though it can be shut off). It would also drain the batteries a lot faster, lighting up the LCD prior to every shot (I also turn off automatic image playback... to save battery charge.... I can always call up the last image taken easily).

You mention restoring factory settings, but did you also try restoring the Custom Functions? Maybe that would fix it. Or maybe you had something enabled, that made possible the constant display.

I do use the Q button at times to call up the Quick menu on my 7Ds, to check or change a setting. But more often I just use the top LCD display or readout in the viewfinder, both of which show a lot of the same info.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

amfoto..... I guess the value of a good product is its' flexibility for unique situations... even if you don't see the immediate need... I do a lot of copy work... the rear lcd display is perfect for seeing my settings... even when the camera is mounted above eye level... easy to bracket exposures, also... Rob
Announcements