cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Preview of the EOS Utility does start but does not show in Windows 10

Anko
Contributor

Good day to you all,

I've installed the EOS Utility on my computer with Windows 7 and 64 bits and it works fine. All parts of the program(s) work as expected.

I've also installed in on a othe computer with windows 10 and 64 bits and one important part of the program does not show it self. When it ought to show, you see the screen showing only the desktop but the picture won´t be visible. Using ALT-TAB to go through the open windows, you can see a white window with the title "Quick Preview" with the file name it is trying to show. You won't see the picture in the thumbnail. This is what I tried after reading a load of threads:

- Installing a update of windows 8.1 over the correct version,

- running the program in compatibility mode for Windows 7,

- running the program in compatibility mode for Windows 8,

- running the program in compatibility without optimising for max screen,

- de-install similar software,

- disconnecting all USB devises, and

- reinstalling the whole suite of software and the appropriate updates after each try.

Can anyone please put me on the right track?

Best regards,

Anko

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please tell us your camera model and the file type you are attempting to preview?

Also, what version of the EOS Utility you are using 2 or 3

Are you using Picture Styles?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi shadowsports,

To your questions:

- I'm using a 1DX,

- I've tried both CR2 and JPG,

- version 2 and 3 of th eutility have the same result, and

- I don't use Picture Styles.

Hopefully you have an idea. In case of more questions: fire away!

Thanks

Anko

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Anko wrote:

Good day to you all,

I've installed the EOS Utility on my computer with Windows 7 and 64 bits and it works fine. All parts of the program(s) work as expected.

I've also installed in on a othe computer with windows 10 and 64 bits and one important part of the program does not show it self. When it ought to show, you see the screen showing only the desktop but the picture won´t be visible. Using ALT-TAB to go through the open windows, you can see a white window with the title "Quick Preview" with the file name it is trying to show. You won't see the picture in the thumbnail. This is what I tried after reading a load of threads:

- Installing a update of windows 8.1 over the correct version,

- running the program in compatibility mode for Windows 7,

- running the program in compatibility mode for Windows 8,

- running the program in compatibility without optimising for max screen,

- de-install similar software,

- disconnecting all USB devises, and

- reinstalling the whole suite of software and the appropriate updates after each try.

Can anyone please put me on the right track?

Best regards,

Anko

You are not running Window 10.  Also, Windows 10 must be a native installation, not an upgrade from Windows 7/8.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

Windows 10 was pre-installed on the machine I bought 1.5 years back. Can you please explain what makes you say that I don't use Windows 10? Or why you think it is an upgrade of Windows7/8?

I'd like to know because the reason behind your remarks might provide me a solution, so please eloborate.

Thank you!

Anko

@Anko wrote:

Hi Waddizzle,

Windows 10 was pre-installed on the machine I bought 1.5 years back. Can you please explain what makes you say that I don't use Windows 10? Or why you think it is an upgrade of Windows7/8?

I'd like to know because the reason behind your remarks might provide me a solution, so please eloborate.

Thank you!

Anko

Why do I think that?  Because I read through the list of things you say you tried.  That's why.

Hi Waddizzle,

Sorry that I was not clear in my text. I'll try to elaborate a bit.

Version 2 and 3 of the Utility is installed on a windows 10 machine. They do not fully work.

I've tried to install a update of the Utility that was originally meant for an installation on Windows 8.1 (a suggestion found in an other thread on this forum) as well as an number of trails with different compatibility (also a suggestion on the forum).

None of them have the desired effect.

Can you please propose a alternate solution?

Thank you!

Anko

I have no idea what a "quick preview of the EOS Utlity" might be.  

Make sure the camera is not turned on when you connect it.  It sounds like you were advised to install the earliest version, but you should upgrade it to the latest Windows 10 version.

On some Windows 10 machines you need jump start it.  You have to go into the C;\Programs\Canon folder an manually start the EOS Utility 3 application.  Make sure the camera is in USB mode, too.

Hi Waddizzle,

Thank you for your idea's. As soon as I'm off again, I try them and let you know.

For your information, the machine automatically installs the latest version of Windows 10.

Thanks,

Anko

@Anko wrote:

Hi Waddizzle,

Thank you for your idea's. As soon as I'm off again, I try them and let you know.

For your information, the machine automatically installs the latest version of Windows 10.

Thanks,

Anko

I had meant the latest version of the EOS Utility software.

Announcements