cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Canon EOS R

jefldean84
Apprentice

Hi all, first post here. I’ll start saying I’m not a pro photographer so maybe my questions might sound somewhat ignorant (because I am in this field, still).

I have an old Nikon D3100 and would like to upgrade. I’ve always heard about Canon’s awesome colors and dual-pixel focus and I’ve seen some videos and they look great so, I think I’d like to move to Canon.

My requirements are:

• mostly for filming and streaming but also enthusiast photography

• flip screen (so I can monitor myself while recording)

• clean HDMI or USB out to computer with no time limit

• can film 1080p or 4K at 24fps with dual-pixel focus

• can film for about 15-30 mins at a time with no overheating

• budget is 1300-1500 USD for the body

Based on what I’ve read, it seems like the only one that fits my requirements is the “not so new” Canon EOS R (I was looking into the RP but I didn’t like that its 4K capabilities were so limited).

I’ve been reading and “it seems” like a new version/replacement for the Canon R will come this year however, I imagine the price is going to be closer to 2K, at least at launch and for a while, which would disqualify it based on my requirements.

So, appealing to you experience with this brand, my question(s) are:

• Do you think the Canon R replacement will come this year?

• At what price do you think the replacement will launch? Would it be close to 2K (as the R itself was at launch)?

• How does the R perform for you in lo-wish light conditions? (Not pitch dark but like in a living room with a soft lamp in a corner). It seems to do okay from some (probably sponsored!) YouTube videos so I’d like to know your opinions

• I know the R has some shortcomings (cropped 4K) but, in general, how have you found it so far for beginner use?

Thanks and sorry for long post (I thought I’d rather explain my use case) and any writing mistake (not native English speaker)

1 REPLY 1

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

The EOS R is a great and very capable camera and usin a mount adapter EF-EOS R gives you a huge selection of lenses to use. Video quality is great and it works with teh EOS Webcam Utility which can help make streaming a little easier. Sorry to say I wouldn't know much about a replacement until an announcement of one is made, so far we have not seen any announcements of a replacement.

Announcements