cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a Canon

emilycnorth
Apprentice

Hi

I am looking to purchase a Canon Camera. I was looking at dslr cameras. What is the best photography camera I could buy for under 1,000? Also It needs to be able to record video with sound, although that is not the primary function I need it for. 

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

T6s. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The T6i is available either with the 18-55mm kit lens for $750, or with the 18-135mm lens for $950... due to rebates.

The T6s is a nicer body design, adds a top LCD panel and a 2nd control dial on the rear as well as a few other feautres, but uses the same sensor as the T6i.  That model is sold either as a "body only" edition or with the 18-135mm kit lens, but not with the 18-55mm kit lens.   The normal price on a T6s is $1200, but with rebates you can get the T6s for $1050... just slightly over your $1000 limit.

The "Rebel" line are Canon's entry-level DSLR cameras and the T6s is the top of the line Rebel body.  Above that you get into the mid-range and pro bodies.

I should probably at least mention the 70D.  You can get a 70D with an 18-55mm STM kit lens for $1099 -- again... a little over your budget.  But the 70D still seems to have better AF performance during video and you mentioned that you want to do video.  Prior to the 70D, DSLRs didn't do "continuous" auto-focus while recording video and it had to do with how the focus system worked.  I wont go into the details here - but the summary is that when you take normal photos (not video) there are phase-detect auto-focus sensors on the bottom of the camera which can tell if an object is in focus but more to the point... if not in focus, it could tell if the focus was either too close or too far and by exactly how much.  This meant the camera only needed to take one sample and knew EXACTLY how much to adjust focus (and whether it needed to adjust nearer or farther). There's a mirror that bounced light into those focus sensor but when shooting video that mirror has to swing up and clear of the main image sensor.  That means it can't use those incredibly fast and accurate auto-focus sensors.  The camera basically had to "guess" it's way to better focus.  Since that would be VERY distracting during video, most DSLRs just don't do continuous auto-focus during video (you have to force them to focus) or if they do... you see the very distracting "focus hunt" behavior.

The 70D introduced a new sensor design which incorporated technology that works similar to the phase-detect AF sensor... but integrated into the main imaging sensor.   This technology has been migrated into a few other cameras.  The T6i and T6s have a variant of it.

You can see a comparison of the three cameras continuous auto-focus during video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpkP3Qvlj1s

In his video, he feels that the 70D did smoother and better auto-focus during video than the T6i and T6s.

The 70D is technically a mid-range camera (above the Rebel line).  It has a larger top-LCD panel and more generous room on the back for easy control of the rear-dial -- the control layout is more similar to the pro bodies (which are designed to be easy to reach and control.)   It also supports a feature called Auto-Focus Micro-Adjustment (AFMA).  Each lens can have slightly different auto-focus performance and whereas one lens might nail focus, another might fractionally miss.  The Rebel bodies do not allow the auto-focus to be adjusted, but the 70D and above cameras do.  This means if you get a lens that just slightly misses focus, you can train the camera to compensate for it.  The 70D also has faster continuous burst shutter speed.  But the 70D is a higher-end camera so you'd expect a few more performance features not found on the Rebel bodies.

The Canon "STM" lenses use stepper motors which are extremely quiet.  When they auto-focus they are almost completely silent and the idea is that the internal microphone will probably not be able to pick up any sound from the focus motors.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

"The T6i is available either with the 18-55mm kit lens for $750, or with the 18-135mm lens for $950... due to rebates."

This is the correct answer.  It is an outstanding camera and will do more than most people will need.  Click here! or Here!

There are other retailers that offer this deal.  You may have a Best Buy locally where you could actually touch one and try it out first. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements