cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased a 1 DX

inkjunkie
Enthusiast

...from my mentor/friend, very long story as to why. I have been skimming thru the manual, have used the camera several times. I spent last weekend shooting 4000 images with it, absolutley am blown away by it.

It had, last I used it, all 3 meters on the right side of the view finder. Well...I picked it up this afternoon to chase my 5 dogs around the yard with it and noticed that the only meter that is visible is the standard exposure meter. The exposure level and flash exposure level meters are no longer visible. Any guidance would certainly be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

A good guess would be that you've set it to a mode (manual exposure?) in which those particular meters are not displayed, probably because they wouoldn't be meaningful or useful in that mode. The first thing you need to do is establish more than a "skimming" relationship with the manual. You've chosen a professional-grade camera, and those are necessarily complex pieces of machinery that require a period of learning.

Be warned that the printed manual is sometimes an abbreviated version. The one that's downloadable from Canon's Web site will be the full version.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Have been shooting in TV mode the entire time. Which is how it was set up when I got it. Before I picked it up I did download the manual from Canon. I spent an hour or so last night reading thru several sections of the manual, with my camera in hand.

Are you sure you saw all three?

5ABE2CAE-CB0B-4822-AE5E-B07C4A96F225.png

Nina Bailey has a two eBook series on the iD X.

https://www.eostrainingacademy.co.uk/images/pdf/eBookSamples/Understanding_your_EOS_1DX_preview.pdf

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, unless I no longer just hear voices but now am seeing things as well. Just to be clear...and if this is a bit harsh I do apologize. No, I have not read the ENTIRE manual....for the simple fact that I fail to see what Mirror Lock up, shooting movies or HDR could possibly have ANYTHING to do with this. But what I have read, almost to the point of being able to recite it...is the sections of the DOWNLOADED manual that pertain to exposure compensation. I can guarantee you there is ZERO mention of these phantom meters.
I have several mental health issues....combined they greatly effect my reading comprehension levels. I have a much easier time understanding things by doing them, which led me to thinking that I may have turned these phantom meters off. If they don't exist kindly just tell me so...and I will move on....

@inkjunkie wrote:
Yes, unless I no longer just hear voices but now am seeing things as well. Just to be clear...and if this is a bit harsh I do apologize. No, I have not read the ENTIRE manual....for the simple fact that I fail to see what Mirror Lock up, shooting movies or HDR could possibly have ANYTHING to do with this. But what I have read, almost to the point of being able to recite it...is the sections of the DOWNLOADED manual that pertain to exposure compensation. I can guarantee you there is ZERO mention of these phantom meters.
I have several mental health issues....combined they greatly effect my reading comprehension levels. I have a much easier time understanding things by doing them, which led me to thinking that I may have turned these phantom meters off. If they don't exist kindly just tell me so...and I will move on....

The vertical bar graphs that appear on the right only appear as a moving dot when in use.  You will not see a “bar”.  The illustration in the manual is showing how many “stops” the moving dot can make.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...and I will move on...."

Move on!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for the link...

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The segment you see closest to the viewfinder image view is the exposure scale. To the right of that is the exposure indicator that is a single bar moving up and down to show the relationship of the actual exposure to the exposure scale.  The third segment is only active for flash or multi-spot metering.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any guidance would certainly be appreciated."

I have been shooting the 1 series cameras for ever.  Clear back to the granddaddy 1D.  They are all familiar in your hands and none are really a surprise but each has significant differences. The 1DX and Mk II are no different but they are more and more complex as they advance. You really do need to read your manual with the 1DX in hand. Follow along with what you are reading. Try it.  It will become more clear as you progress.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements