cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Availability; Europe vs. United States

FotoBob23
Apprentice

Why aren't the cameras that are available in Europe (e.g., 600D, 700D) available in the United States?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Danny

Hi, FotoBob23!

We're pleased to report that the cameras you mentioned are, in fact, available in the United States.  The EOS 600D and EOS 700D are sold Stateside as the EOS Rebel T3i and EOS Rebel T5i, respectively.  While there may be very minor internal differences to conform to regional requirements (such as for electrical currents and the default language), the cameras are functionally identical and are sold under differing model names in other parts of the world mainly for marketing reasons.  Keep in mind that Canon USA can only warranty and service cameras meant for sale in the United States, so we would recommend simply getting the US-version EOS Rebel instead of its international counterpart.  We're sure it will be easier to find in American stores!

We hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Danny

Hi, FotoBob23!

We're pleased to report that the cameras you mentioned are, in fact, available in the United States.  The EOS 600D and EOS 700D are sold Stateside as the EOS Rebel T3i and EOS Rebel T5i, respectively.  While there may be very minor internal differences to conform to regional requirements (such as for electrical currents and the default language), the cameras are functionally identical and are sold under differing model names in other parts of the world mainly for marketing reasons.  Keep in mind that Canon USA can only warranty and service cameras meant for sale in the United States, so we would recommend simply getting the US-version EOS Rebel instead of its international counterpart.  We're sure it will be easier to find in American stores!

We hope this helps!

How about the EF-M 11-22mm STM?

At this time, although the Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens is not available in the United States, the Mount Adapter EF-EOS M is, which allows you to attach and fully utilize any EF or EF-S series lens you might have to the EOS M.

Thanks much. Follow-up question; I'm now interested in the 70D. That model is available in the states, correct? (The same as the European 70D?)

Once it starts shipping... yes.  It announced and dealers are taking pre-orders.  

I'm not sure if the release date has been made firm yet.  If you track rumor sites around the world, you can find release dates anywhere from mid-august (basically now) through mid-november.)   Amazon.com in the US claims it will release on September 15... but that may not be correct.

As a tip... check your local authorized dealer for information on pre-orders and available.  Something I learned about the Canon (and Nikon does the same thing) product release policies is that they don't seem to "favor" certain dealers over others.  Every authorized dealer seems to get similar availability.  

Hence, if Canon has enough product to send 10 units to every authorized dealer, then every dealer can order up to 10.  That means big Internet dealers get 10.  Big box stores get 10.  And local authorized Canon dealers get 10.  You can expect the pre-order queue to be long at a big Internet retailer, but the local store probably doesn't have such a long list.

When the G1 X released, a friend of mine wanted it.  He went to B&H, Adorama, Amazon, Best Buy, and the list went on and on.  EVERYONE was out of stock with long wait periods to get the product, but he wanted to take it on a vacation the following week.  I told him to call the local camera store -- he told me I was nuts... no way would a small local dealer have any when all the major stores were out.

So... I called the local camera store for him.  Turns out they had no waiting list, and 2 units in stock just waiting on the shelf for someone to walk in and buy.  I politely asked them to stick his name on one of them, called my friend, and an hour later he had his camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements