Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Problems with my af points and red flashing light in viewfinder

Yes, I think I have to go to the store tomorrow and ask whats wrong.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Perhaps there's a problem with your camera. But I suspect what you are seeing is normal. In low light conditions, the camera will illuminate the autofocus point(s) in red. A side effect of that is that the red light "spills" into the rest of the viewfinder display. The darker the ambient light conditions, the more noticable it is.

You can disable that behavior via the menus. See the "VF display illumication" setting. In the full English manual, it is on page 131:

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 1.04.13 PM.png

Cheers,

Bill

EOS 7D Mk II, EOS 40D, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's the answer.

So obviously instructional manual helps.

RTM or scroll through all the tabs in the camera menu and you will find a lot of answers to your uncertainty.

bdodd attaching the image of the manual is a very good way to explain the solution. I am also using this method when I can't explain myself clearly in words.

Hope that it help the OP to solve the problem.

Occasional Contributor

Nothing wrong with your camera. Mine did it too. I found it annoying so I turned off the VR illumination.
VIP

I don't have the new 7D Mk II yet so I am only going by how my 1 series cameras operate.  You guys did read this reply from the OP?

"I only got one AF point activated.

Yes, It features the gridline. I don't use It"

I would be surprised if a single focus square made that much red flashes.  Maybe so but not likely.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Super Contributor

Yes. Even though you activated just one AF point, the flash comes on when AF is achieved (by default setting) Red light is not just from the AF point but also from the grid lines which again can be removed in the menu.

However, you may turn it off it it annoys you.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just remove the grid from the VF and only the focus point flashes when AF is achieved. The flash (illumination) can be disabled completely from the menu.

Occasional Contributor

I don't use the grids either, and mine still flashes enough to be annoying in less than bright lite.
Occasional Contributor

the VF grid was already disabled

Super Contributor

Bob (bdodd) posted above that the illumination can be disabled completely. See image of P. 131 of the manual in his post.