cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems tethering 5D Mark IV to Canon Utility 3

pcather
Contributor

Before I shot with a 5D Mark II it was tethered to Canon Utility 2.  The image was saved to the a folder that was watched by LR.  LR imported any image in the Watched Folder.  This allowed me to transfer just a jpeg to the laptop as being tethered to directly to LR would only transfer a RAW file.  Not super fast but worked fine for my needs.

Then, about a year ago,  I bought a 5D Mark IV and tethered it using Canon Utility 3.  I've had nothing but problems.  It works for awhile and then the camera locks up.  It will not shoot.  The viewfinder says "Busy".  At first, I could disconnect the cable (the one provided with the camera) and connect it back and it would continue shooting. But now that is not working. It's become such a problem I can no longer shoot tethered. 

I can't think of anything that I'm doing differently from the Mark II.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

Tim
Authority

Hello pcather, 

• You can control the camera remotely from EOS Utility Ver.3.x, and by viewing the subject in the EOS Utility Ver.3.x window, you can set the camera and shoot. You can also shoot by directly operating your camera even during remote shooting, or preset a time allowing the camera to shoot automatically with timer shooting.
NOTE
  • For information on how to connect the camera with the computer, please see the "Related information" section.

Shooting Still Photos

1. Connect your camera and computer, and then turn the camera's power switch to <ON>.

2. Set the lens focus mode switch to <AF>.

3. Once EOS Utility Ver.3.x starts, click [Remote Shooting].

4. Set the camera.
Click or right-click the setting item and select the setting.*1*2
Capture window
*1: If you checkmark [Change settings using mouse wheel on capture screen] on the [Remote shooting] tab sheet on the [Preferences], you can also select settings with the scroll-wheel on your mouse. You cannot use the scroll-wheel in the mirror lockup menu or under [Image saving location].
*2: You can right-click the Exposure level/AEB level item and perform AEB setting using the <Shift> key + scroll-wheel.

IMPORTANT
  • You cannot perform RAW processing. If you connect the camera to your computer during in-camera RAW processing, the camera and computer will connect after the processing is finished.
NOTE
  • The settings that cannot be set in the capture window can be set by operating the camera.
  • A warning lamp blinks during the countdown for self-timer shooting and the countdown time is displayed in the area for the number of possible shots.
  • Mirror lockup settings are available when the camera mode is P, Tv, Av, M or B.
  • During mirror lockup, the mirror lockup icon blinks.
  • When shooting with auto exposure, the shutter speed or aperture blinks to indicate under-exposure or over-exposure conditions.
  • When shooting with manual exposure, the metering value is displayed in real time in the exposure level area.

5. Click the [  ] button.

6. Set the Live View function.
  • Click [Live View/Movie func. set].

• Select [Enable] for [LV func. setting] and the setting for [Exposure simulation], then click [ OK ].
LV func. setting
Exposure simulation
[ OK ]
Exposure simulation
Exposure simulation simulates and displays the image with a brightness close to the actual resulting image.

OptionExplanation
EnableThe displayed image brightness will be close to the actual brightness (exposure) of the resulting image. If you set exposure compensation, the image brightness will change accordingly.
DisableThe image is displayed at the standard brightness to make the Live View image easy to see. Even if you set exposure compensation, the image is displayed at the standard brightness.
Enable (DOF preview)Normally, the image is displayed at the standard brightness to make the Live View image easy to see. The image will be displayed close to the actual brightness (exposure) of the resulting image only while you hold down the depth-of-field preview button.

7. Click [Live View shoot.].

• The [Remote Live View window] appears.

8. Click the [  ] button to shoot.
  • The shot image is transferred to your computer and displayed in the [Quick Preview] window. Then, Photo Professional Ver.4.x starts up automatically.
NOTE
  • You can quickly review the shot image in the [Quick Preview] window displayed before Digital Photo Professional Ver.4.x starts up. You can also resize the [Quick Preview] window.
  • You can show/hide the [Quick Preview] window by clicking the [Other Functions] button in the capture window and selecting [Quick Preview] from the menu that appears.
  • You can shoot by operating the capture window, even if the [Remote Live View window] is not displayed.
  • To perform exposure simulation with [Remote Live View window] or enable display of histograms, set your camera's [Exposure simulation] in the menu to [Enable].
  • You can also use mirror lockup with remote shooting. (Mirror lockup is not possible during Remote Live View shooting).
  • Self-timer shooting is possible.
  • You can change the software that starts up automatically when remotely shot images are transferred to your computer from Digital Photo Professional Ver.4.x to other software in preferences ([Linked Software] tab sheet).
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements