cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Using Canon R5 With Pocket Wizard and Monolights

iPhotoSports
Apprentice

I am trying to figure out flash sync setup for R5 and pocketwizard triggered monolights. All of the info I find is regarding setup for external Canon speedlights. Anyone firing monolights from an R5?

I am getting a dark edge down the right which tells my I am not synced properly, but can't figure out what settings to use to correct the problem.

210316X006.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You sure it is not just a lighting thing? Have you tried to turn the camera on its side?

Have you lowered the shutter speed?

The camera was turned on its side and on a tripod (shutter release button on top). I did testing -- prior to going to the shoot where the problem arose -- and it all seemed to be working fine. Was hoping someone had seen this particular dark edge problem -- it is really the bottom of the frame only shows on right side because of camera orientation.

I used 1/200 which was what I thought the instructions indicated. While on the shoot I tried Mechanical and Elec. 1st-curtain Shutter Modes. Sample provide was shot with Elec. 1st-curtain Shutter Mode

External Speed Light Control Settings:

Flash Firing: Enable

E-TTL balance: Standard

E-TTL II meter.: Average

Contin flash ctrl: E-TTL 1st shot

Slow synchro: 1/250

Firing Pocketwizard enabled Photogenic monolight with a Pocket Wizard Plus-X trigger on camera.

None of this flash gear was E-TTL enabled, so dumb wireless trigger with flash power set on the monolight.

Astiles
Apprentice

I have the same problem with my R5 -

shooting with mechanical shutter at 1/160 shutter, f/16, iso 160 - tethered to MacBook Pro, using Capture one. 

pocket wizards and profoto acute 1200 packs. I wasn’t just catching the shutter on one every now and then - I’d get ten in a row; it was extremely frustrating. 

I’ve been shooting with a similar setup with various 5D cameras for 17 years and never ever captured the shutter before. 

Does anyone know what’s up with this, or maybe my brand new R5 has a malfunction?

Astiles
Apprentice

I thought I would add a photo because it was not consistent where I saw the shutter... It changed from frame to frame. 

camera-issue.jpg

Astiles
Apprentice

Lastly... I just updated the camera's firmware to 1.7 -- the notes say the update fixes an issue that "on rare occasions, the camera would not operate normally while shooting a small subject"... maybe this is my issue? I wish there was more information about those "rare occasions" and what they mean by small subject, but I assume my subject here is considered small. Thank you in advance for any input here. 

It's not a canon issue but rather pocketwizard.  You don't mention which pocketwizard you are using but this page should give you a starting point to troubleshoot.

Understanding HyperSync and High Speed Sync - PocketWizard Wiki

HyperSync Setup - PocketWizard Wiki

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

Thank you for your suggestion, although I don’t know what I can change about my radio slaves. I’m shooting below the flash sync speed of the camera, and the error was not on every frame, nor were the shutters captured at the same place every time. Sometimes I would get shutter at the lower 1/3 of the frame, and sometimes it would cover half of the frame… but 80% of the time it worked fine. It’s the inconsistency that has me perplexed. 
I’m not using pocket wizards that have any software to adjust - PocketWizard Plus X transmitter on the camera, and PocketWizard plus receiver on the pack. 
move been using the same setup for ages (but with a 5D, and it’s always worked perfectly). 
Thank you. 

Announcements