cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem recharging LP-E6 batteries

brupsilva
Contributor

Hi, fellas.

I bouth a Canon 6D and I have a problem with my batteries/charger LP-E6 and LC-E6E.

I put the battery into the LC-E6E. It blinks one time per second in orange for hours (much more than the 2,5 hours) and finally it turns off the led when the battery is full. It doesnt show any other phase of blinks like 2 times or 3 times per second and even the green light.

It happens with my two batteries.

What is happening? Does anyone knows?

One more question. Could I recharge the LP-E6N battery in this recharger? 

23 REPLIES 23

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@brupsilva wrote:

I messured the amperage of the charger. 0,43A when it must be 1,2A. I think its dead.. dammit.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I believe that amperage must be measured for a given load. So I assume you've measured the charger's performance with both batteries.

Also, the notation you use suggests that you're using the charger in Europe, presumably via an adapter. Before you give up on the charger, make sure that the adapter is operating correctly (e.g., that there's no voltage loss due to corroded contacts, etc.).

I went to an electrical laboratory. The engineer measured for me with a multimeter. In fact the amperage is measured in it's contacts, showing the current value that the source provides for batteries. This value should be 1.2A, but was measured 0,43A.

You do know that modern chargers adjust the current based on the measured state of the battery right? And with modern chipped batteries it might get more complicated than that!

@kvbarkley wrote:

You do know that modern chargers adjust the current based on the measured state of the battery right? And with modern chipped batteries it might get more complicated than that!

Yes, but since the batteries are taking more than five hours to be fully charged, I believe that this measurement is consistent.

@brupsilva wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@brupsilva wrote:

I messured the amperage of the charger. 0,43A when it must be 1,2A. I think its dead.. dammit.

I'm no electrical engineer, but I believe that amperage must be measured for a given load. So I assume you've measured the charger's performance with both batteries.

Also, the notation you use suggests that you're using the charger in Europe, presumably via an adapter. Before you give up on the charger, make sure that the adapter is operating correctly (e.g., that there's no voltage loss due to corroded contacts, etc.).

I went to an electrical laboratory. The engineer measured for me with a multimeter. In fact the amperage is measured in it's contacts, showing the current value that the source provides for batteries. This value should be 1.2A, but was measured 0,43A.

I agree with Robert...you have to measure the current under load (with the battery installed) otherwise, it's meaningless. And I am an electrical engineer :).  Assuming that the engineer at the lab measured it correctly, .43 Amps sounds about right, depending on the state of charge on the battery.  Most chargers have a scheme for charging from full charge to trickle charge, depending on the state of charge.  For a fully depleted battery, the charger may pump the full 1.2A but usually not...charging at full current all the time probably will shorten battery life due to excess heat and what not.  

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@brupsilva wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@brupsilva wrote:

I agree with Robert...you have to measure the current under load (with the battery installed) otherwise, it's meaningless. And I am an electrical engineer :).

And how could you explain my new batteries take more then 5 hours to be charged? They always took 2h in maximum. 

Whether your test was valid or not, the conclusion is.

@brupsilva wrote:

And how could you explain my new batteries take more then 5 hours to be charged? They always took 2h in maximum. 

Does the charger say that it will only take 2 hours?  I'm not certain but I think the charger is supposed to be smart...you might want to let it charge the batteries a couple of time without interruption a few times so it will learn the patterns.  Come to think of it, my 7D2 charger was acting weird at first also but soon behaves normally (quicker charging).

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Hi, guys! Finally solved! 

My suspicious was right. It was a fake recharger. FAKE! After a very angry phonecall, the seller sent me the original one. Now everything is working fine!

Thank you all for the replies! You rule!

@brupsilva wrote:

My suspicious was right. It was a fake recharger. FAKE! After a very angry phonecall, the seller sent me the original one. Now everything is working fine!

That's great.  Just one more thing, though.  Scratch that retailer off the "buy" list.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@brupsilva wrote:

That's great.  Just one more thing, though.  Scratch that retailer off the "buy" list.

Already DONE. 🙂 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements