cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prioritise the shutter release over AF lock. Possible?

tactik
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I have had very little luck with my searches in this regard - perhaps someone here has come across the issue. Unfortunately for me all the keywords involved in the question relate to so many other aspects and functions that it became an overwhelming mission for the truth!

I'm basically looking to see if these conditions are possible with my 7D and/or 60D (using L glass);

1. That the camera/lens is set to autofocus mode,

2. That I can half press and hold the shutter release and attempt to achieve focus and lock it,

3. That I can fully press the shutter release and it will take the shot, IRRESPECTIVE of whether it has achieved focus/lock.

The idea being that I have had too many moments where my cameras have been in an AF mode, I swing it up quickly, hit the shutter release fully, only to be unable to take the shot - even blurrily or halfway capture the image, as the AF is still hunting around. 

It doesn't always have to be a quick shot either... perhaps low light means it hunts for longer, or some part of the scene is too close and it fails to achieve focus/lock and then I am left mashing at the shutter release, able to see that what I have will be fine... but the camera will have none of it.

Usually it happens when I don't realise it is still in autofocus, or someone else has been using it right before me, so I try and get the passing shot, manually focus it (which I'm pretty **bleep** quick at) and hit the button.... aaaaaaand nothing.

I want the shutter release to be a sure thing, all focus modes, all settings, focus or no focus. If I press it all the way, I want that damned shot! Right then!

In my searching I heard that on Nikon there is a "Selection Priority" setting, which seems to do exactly this ie: separates the shutter release from requiring focus/lock in autofocus mode.

But I don't know how/where/if this can be done on a 7D and 60D.

Any ideas? 

6 REPLIES 6

tactik
Apprentice

edit: I have read that there is a way to disable the half-press focus function... and that I could then use the AF-ON button for that purpose... and the shutter release then remains just itself.

That is not really an ideal situation for me, as I like the ability to halfpress and lock the focus, and then fully press to shoot. I jsut don't want to be told that I cannot shoot just yet, because the AF is not achieving focus.
Hmm.... ?

diverhank
Authority

You can't prioritize the shutter over AF in One-Shot AF mode...unless you get a beep, it won't take a picture.

In AI Servo mode and continuous shooting mode, you can prioritize shutter release over AF only with the 7D but not the 60D.  You can set this on the Custom Function setting C-Fn III.  There are several choices like shutter release and continuous speed priority  for all shots or only first shot, etc...  Page 210 of the 7D manual will tell you more in detail.

I use this on my 5D3 failure to focus on the first shot will prevent a whole series of pictures where focus could have been achieved in subsequent shots... I set shutter release priority on the first shot but focus priority on subsequent shots (option 3).

========

Want to thank me? Give me a kudo...it makes me happy.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Hi, I shoot the 7D and can agree with your problem. The suggestions given will be a solid step in the right direction. Can I also suggest something? I'm thinking you might be shooting fast objects, BIF (birds in flight) or other subjects that move and you're trying to get the AF lock as soon as possible, OK? Follow the suggestions given and also just for the fun of it try ISO on "auto". The 7D can handle a lot of ISO without to much noise so with the latest firmware updates that you have installed, right? Just give this a try and let us know. I've read David Busch's book on the 7D and find his suggestions to handle a lot of my action shots, low light or whatever to be very helpful.

Mike Goodwin 7D/400D/ Manfrotto 3228W Giotto MH3300/ 400mmL/ 50mm F1.4/28mm F2.8/28x135 & Tamron 18x270

tactik
Apprentice

Thanks so much for the info and advice!

I'm not sure on the benefits/costs of AI Servo, so will delve into the appropriate manual sections. Also, I'll check out Magic Lantern for the 60D as who knows what settings might be revealed.

As for the auto ISO, and latest firmware, I'll have to check and see where we are with that. So thanks for the heads up.

We've been travelling for the last year, and the shots I'm missing are across the board; street, animal/wildlife, event, and really anything which has a severe time constraint involved. It's not every day it happens, but it's frequent enough to become a hassle/noticeable.

Cheers again.

You can set manual on both the lens and camera. Believe it or not we used to do it that way all the time!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks ebiggs... I would never have guessed 😉

Actually, I shoot entirely manual 95% of the time. I'm not really used to submenu surfing.

We have two cameras; generally with a 24-105 L on one and an 11-16 on the other. So, if I want to catch a fast, wide/tele shot of something, we'll swap. I'll grab the camera off my girl... and she has often got it set to AF, and with the settings currently on the cameras, the end result for me is too often a missed opportunity.

Announcements