cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing

distantvoice
Apprentice

So I broke the bank buying a 6D with a decent lens.  What about printing (UK)?  As much as I want to stem the money flow, I imagine that I need to step up from the general holiday type printers such as Snapfish?  Any advice on who to use?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@distantvoice wrote:

So I broke the bank buying a 6D with a decent lens.  What about printing (UK)?  As much as I want to stem the money flow, I imagine that I need to step up from the general holiday type printers such as Snapfish?  Any advice on who to use?

How much printing do you plan to do, and at what size?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ScottyP
Authority

Go with your instinct. High end print services are much better than the Snapfishes of the world.  And a home printer is no cheaper than pro printing and the quality isn't as good as the $200,000 machines they use. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"And a home printer is no cheaper than pro printing and the quality isn't as good as the $200,000 machines they use."

Well of course you know I would take exception with that statement!  The part you did get right is, it ain't cheap.  But than neither is the, "$200,000 machines they use"  Custom prints can be very expensive.  You must remember I worked for a company that had every conceivable way to put ink on paper known to man.  Some not because it was experimental.

When I do 'normal' prints for people, I don't take the up and beyond measures.  But when I do want that extra special print I think I match quite well with $200,000 guys.  Best part is. so can anybody that wants too.

Most of the time the extra special print is the paper.  Not the machine that printed it. $1 a sheet paper will never look as good as $10 a sheet paper no matter what printer you use.  If you are an occasional printer person, the commercial labs are best for you.  But if you are truly into special prints, do it yourself. A printer like the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 17" Professional Photographic Inkjet Printer is capable of amazing prints.  Anyway you got the it ain't cheap part correct.

Curiosity, where did the $200,000 come from?  Quite a few of the big houses use the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-4000S 44" Professional Production Inkjet Printer.  Expensive but hardly $200,000.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements