cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prefix file name underscore versus 8

Zbadger
Contributor
I use Adobe color space for my 5D Mark 4 which uses a file name with an initial underscore. However I am finding that on some of my folders the majority of my files will be correctly labeled with an underscore but then a lesser number of them will randomly instead have an 8 starting off the name of the file. I contacted Canon technical support and they have never heard of this issue.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The RAW file metadata is supposed to describe the RAW file, not some edits that someone made."

WE AGREE!  Smiley Wink It is simply a matter of how each editor handles it but there is one.

Frankly, Gentlemen, if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!  Smiley Happy

Well, actually, it has. I'm supposed to be spending my time cleaning out our old house so that we can complete our move to Philadelphia. But that's another story.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

'Adobe is always behind the curve; they have to wait for Canon to tell them what's included in the latest RAW file format."

Canon does not document how their Raw files work. Others will always be "behind the curve" because they have to analyse how they work.

"DPP's RAW files have always reliably included all the edits I've made... I have no reason to suppose that I've been getting some special treatment."

Sorry ya lost me on that one.  I suspect DPP4 works exactly for you as it does for everybody.

"... if I've inadvertently done something to help bridge the gap between you, my day has not been wasted!"

I don't mind being shown where I go wrong.  It happens and it will happen again, I'm sure.  However, I don't like rude so I bow out then.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48

"...what I read is the prefix _ is indicative of Adobe RGB and the prefix 8 is indicative of SRGB."

Bingo! Smiley Happy

EB

Yes - so does anyone know how my camera could be spitting out 2 different prefixs and therefore 2 different color presentations?  When I go to the actual files on my screen on the camera, most show Adobe RGB, but for example, one of them with the 8 prefix shows the color represntation to be sRGB.  So these 2 differences have been recorded on the compact flash card.  This is thus before download to my desktop.

@Zbadger wrote:

Yes - so does anyone know how my camera could be spitting out 2 different prefixs and therefore 2 different color presentations?  When I go to the actual files on my screen on the camera, most show Adobe RGB, but for example, one of them with the 8 prefix shows the color represntation to be sRGB.  So these 2 differences have been recorded on the compact flash card.  This is thus before download to my desktop.

Yes, as mentioned it could be saved in one of your Custom settings (C1, C2, etc.), it would use sRGB if you ever use the Automatic Green Square Mode, and possibly other built in automatic functions like automatic HDR. Until you can correlate what your camera settings were when you didn't get Adobe RGB it is hard to tell. There is a 99.99999% chance there is nothing wrong with your camera. 

Why are you using Adobe RGB? You know unless you can ensure Adobe RGB is being used throughout the process (i.e. computer, monitor, printer, etc.) it is likely to introduce color errors. And in the end Adobe RGB will be lost when viewed by anyone else without specialized equipment.

Some excerts from the fStoppers article AdobeRGB vs. sRGB, by Zach Sutton, February 17, 2013

'sRGB came first, and almost everything on a computer is built around sRGB. The internet, video games, applications, personal devices, and most everything else has adapted sRGB as their standard for color space. Even the monitor you’re using likely cannot display all the colors of AdobeRGB. That's right, most traditional computer monitors can only display about 97% of the sRGB color space, and only about 76% of the AdobeRGB color space. Even screen calibrators will often tell you how much of the color gamut you're able to display.'

'Since most web browsers have adapted sRGB as its color space, if you upload an image to the internet with the AdobeRGB gamut, the browser will convert it to sRGB, and it’ll do a terrible job at it, '

'Printers, have began adapting the AdobeRGB color space. This allows for more vibrant colors in your prints, with better color consistency that your own monitor cannot even replicate. But do you want your prints to look differently than they do on your monitor? I say yes, as it provides richer colors that bring out details that would otherwise go unseen.'

Note this is NOT an article against using Adobe RGB, in fact in his conclusion he states he uses Adobe RGB, but, specifically because he mostly shoots for making prints.

I ws using either P, M or HDR with +-1 stop.  Not the custom functions.   So there is the quandry.  How can that be explained?

Yes - most of my photos are seen electronically but I want Adobe RGB for those that I print for the wall.

"There is a 99.99999% chance there is nothing wrong with your camera."

Also he is correct about AdobeRGB.  If you aren't printing on a real photo printer, not just one that prints color, it helps nothing.

I am not sure it ever hurts anything but you are not getting any benefit from using it over sRGB.

EB

@Zbadger wrote:

I ws using either P, M or HDR with +-1 stop.  Not the custom functions.   So there is the quandry.  How can that be explained?

Yes - most of my photos are seen electronically but I want Adobe RGB for those that I print for the wall.

Are the sRGB photos when you have your camera in Portrait orientation rather than Landscape orientation? 

I know Canon cameras will store different AF configurations based on how you hold the camera. In fact 3 different configurations one for Landscape orientation, and two others depending on which end of the camera you turn up when shooting in Portrait orientation.

The other thing is in HDR is it possible the sRGB colorspace files are the component files of the HDR? i.e. the underexposed one, the properly exposed one, and the over exposed one

The SRGB images are both landscape and portrait.

THeir appear to possibly be some HDR images but if so, just say 2 of 3 or 1 of 3 and there seem to be random other ones that start with the "8" prefix (sRGB)

@Zbadger wrote:

If you're that finicky about color accuracy, you should be shooting in RAW. Then you can select the appropriate color gamut (sRGB, Adobe RGB, ...) when you convert to JPEG.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am shooting both in RAW and jpg.  Back story:  these images are from a trip with 20 people,  I took most of the scenic and museum images - about 3000 total.  I offered like a similar trip last year to create a day by day electronic album for the entire group - using my photos as the base starting point.  So I am using jpg for the vast majority of images (and modifying my RAW images for the better shots).  I was relying on the visual jpg's to determine which images I was going to include in the album and expecting them to be in chronologicl order.  But as last year, 5 to !5% of them, are not in order because they have an "8" prefix.

But thinkin through what you are saying, am I correct in assuming the color representation in the camera only affects the .jpg images and NOT the RAW images.  If so, I should always shoot in sRGB and then if there is a particular picture I wish to profressionally print for my wall, then I would be processing the RAW image in that case and not caring what the color representation was in the .jpg image.

@Zbadger wrote:

But thinkin through what you are saying, am I correct in assuming the color representation in the camera only affects the .jpg images and NOT the RAW images.  If so, I should always shoot in sRGB and then if there is a particular picture I wish to profressionally print for my wall, then I would be processing the RAW image in that case and not caring what the color representation was in the .jpg image.

Exactly!!!

Announcements