Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Prefix file name underscore versus 8

I use Adobe color space for my 5D Mark 4 which uses a file name with an initial underscore. However I am finding that on some of my folders the majority of my files will be correctly labeled with an underscore but then a lesser number of them will randomly instead have an 8 starting off the name of the file. I contacted Canon technical support and they have never heard of this issue.
Valued Contributor

Re: Prefix file name underscore versus 8

Does the same issue occur on more than one memory card? Have the memory cards been formatted in the camera? Does the EXIF info for the affected images in fact show them being saved in the Adobe color space, or do you see any other strange changes in the EXIF data between the different file naming structures?

Respected Contributor

@Zbadger wrote:
I use Adobe color space for my 5D Mark 4 which uses a file name with an initial underscore. However I am finding that on some of my folders the majority of my files will be correctly labeled with an underscore but then a lesser number of them will randomly instead have an 8 starting off the name of the file. I contacted Canon technical support and they have never heard of this issue.

The underscore in the filename indicates you are using a different colorspace. i.e. AdobeRBG

Did you set a different colorspace that got saved in one of your Custom Settings (C1, C2, C3)

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply!!!

Yes - it has happened with 2 separate CF cards - the most recent with a 128GB card.

Yes - the cards were formatted in the camera.

IF by EXIF you mean Details under Properties, under those .jpgs correctly listed with an initial underscore, the Image Color Representations states "Uncalibrated" .................whereas the images that start with an initial 8 in the file name, the Image Color Representations state sRGB.

Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Zbadger, 

We are sorry to hear that this issue persists.  We would need to evaluate this unit at Canon at your earliest convenience.  

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Occasional Contributor

Are you saying that there might be something wrong with this camera as this has happened on and off during at least the past year - as shown in pictures May 2018 also.  And if htere was something defective with the camera, will I be charged for it?  You will see there is no damage to the caera whatsoever.

Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Zbadger, 

It's hard to say at this point, there very well could be.  We would need staff on hand at the FSC to evaluate your unit.  If you are within the initial one year period since purchase, we recommend sending a copy of the receipt so we can process the warranty.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
VIP

Are any of the misnamed files HDR captures?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Zbadger wrote:

Thank you for your reply!!!

Yes - it has happened with 2 separate CF cards - the most recent with a 128GB card.

Yes - the cards were formatted in the camera.

IF by EXIF you mean Details under Properties, under those .jpgs correctly listed with an initial underscore, the Image Color Representations states "Uncalibrated" .................whereas the images that start with an initial 8 in the file name, the Image Color Representations state sRGB.

If one of your Custom settings (C1, C2, C3) has sRGB colorspace saved in it this would explain it.

Also as metioned by Waddizzle any factory preset modes like HDR are likely to use the default sRGB colorspace.

Occasional Contributor

My HDR images are Adobe RGB images, but I just checked my first C1 setting and sure enough, a photo I took had an sRGB image taken.  However, I have not been using C1 when these occasional images with an 8 prefix have showed up.