cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Grips for Canon EOS cameras

Edward
Enthusiast

Does the addition of a power grip increases the number of frames/per second that can be shot with some models of EOS cameras?  Recent EOS camera manuals state the addition of the power grips just increases the number of shots that can be taken.  But if I recall correctly, when I owned the the Canon 40D and 50D the addition of a power grip increased the number of frames per seconds attainable. Am I correct? 

10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

I've never seen any claims it increases the FPS rate on Canon bodies but I think I have read that some Nikons get a FPS boost with a grip & I think the D800 is one of them.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I've never seen any claims it increases the FPS rate on Canon bodies but I think I have read that some Nikons get a FPS boost with a grip & I think the D800 is one of them.

Neither us.

Indeed some Nikon increase the burst rate with battery grip (D700 was another one)

Regards

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

How could it? Buffer and write speed are the bottlenecks. Is there some other variable I'm missing?

@7D5D wrote:
How could it? Buffer and write speed are the bottlenecks. Is there some other variable I'm missing?

Yes, Voltage & power consumption.

lt seems some Nikon DSLR do some kind of "overcrank" or "over clocking" on their electronics when more power is available.

That reminds me some comments by Chuck Westfall (Canon USA) about the higher voltage of 1DX batteries that allow faster AF in some lenses.

Of course FPS is different than AF speed, but both are related to electronics, processing power, etc.

This indeed is very common and well known in the graphic cards world and computing in general.

Regards

HD Cam Team

Canon cameras do not seem to have any boost in fps when using battery grips. Sounds strange Nikon would.

If it "over clocks" the processor with a battery grip over the designed limit, it may shorten the life of the camera. If it "over clocks" the processor within the designed limit, the camera has been built slower than it could handle and this makes me think some sort of shenanigans are going on.

...unless the processor has been designed to handle voltage better than a single battery can provide, so it can take advantage of increased battery power.

Well, I don't have a Nikon, so it doesn't matter for me.

Seems I read some something about this a while back myself but I still remain skeptical it has any effect. But I can always be proven wrong , thanks.

Hi,

Well, the Nikon D700 does in fact increase the frame rate when using the battery grip (don't remember if other models also do).

You can check the D700' specs: 6.0 fps (8.0 fps with battery grip).

Regards

HD Cam Team

@HDCamTeam wrote:

Hi,

Well, the Nikon D700 does in fact increase the frame rate when using the battery grip (don't remember if other models also do).

You can check the D700' specs: 6.0 fps (8.0 fps with battery grip).

Regards

Oh I don't doubt that about Nikon (because I've never owned, followed or read up on Nikon much),  my skepticism remains with increase FPS on Canon.  But thanks for the info on the D700,  I do find that interesting that more juice increases FPS.  Seems like it was marketing strategy from the get go - want the increase FPS?  Get a grip.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

From what I have read and understand about the Brand N bodies it is not how much voltage the battery can deliver but how long.

Their processor uses the available current faster than one battery can provide.

My personal take is, I grip everything. Even back in the day my F1n and A1 had "grips" and motor drives. I find the extra shooting time is well worth the cost.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements