cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help!

uam225
Apprentice

Hi,

I shot a friend's wedding last week with a rented 5D iv with a 24-70 2.8. After importing files to lightroom i noticed this effect on a lot of the pictures. They looked fine on the camera and when opened in lightroom first they appear fine but aftrer a few secs this appears. Does anyone know what's going on? Any chance of recovering/fixing the issue?2B2A0904.jpg

12 REPLIES 12

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Do you still have the card with the original files?  Save them and download Canon DPP software and see how they look in it; I suspect they will be fine.

I always shoot in RAW and use the excellent RAW converter in DPP to "process" the files before sending them to Adobe.

What camera have you used in the past to create files for lightroom?  Your computer (CPU, memory availability, graphics card, etc.) may be having an issue with the much larger files created by the 5D IV compared to some less capable DSLR models.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I don't use Lightroom but like most software you may not have an update which includes properly reading the files from the 5D4. Check which version you have & see if there's an update available. (this assumes you aren't using an on line version).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I believe this is going to be related to hardware.  Are you downloading straight from the camera, or are you using a card reader? 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

hi shadowsports, i used a card reader

@uam225 wrote:
hi shadowsports, i used a card reader

Between a bad sensor, bad software, or a bad memory card, something is wrong.  What version of Lightroom and ACR are you running?

What do the RAW images look like in Canon’s DPP?  What does a JPG look like when you create in the camera?

What brand and model of memory card(s) were you using?  Did you format it in the camera prior to first use?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

hi Waddizzle, im using Lighroom Classic 8.3.1 and ACR 11.3
The pictures look the same in all softwares. Tried Canon DPP, photoshop... The JPG rendition on the camera looked fine, on lightroom they seem ok for a few moments while it loads and then goes like this.
The memory card was Lexar Pro 1066 256GB. I did format before shooting.

Thanks for taking the time to ask.

It looks fine for a few moments because it is showing the embedded preview. It appears your RAW data is corrupted.

@uam225 wrote:
The pictures look the same in all softwares. Tried Canon DPP, photoshop... The JPG rendition on the camera looked fine, on lightroom they seem ok for a few moments while it loads and then goes like this.

I do not know if you are describing a CF card, an SD card, or a micro-SD card.  Plus, there are variations on the performance of memory card.  

017912FE-D27A-44BD-AEA8-61D200140EE2.jpeg

From the 5D4 Instruction Manual. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@uam225 wrote:

I've used Lexar Professional cards for years and never had a problem. But at this stage of the game, I would avoid any 256GB card. Whenever you're pushing the envelope of size, speed, or whatever, you increase the probability of tripping over an unknown firmware bug or file system peculiarity. The alleged benefit isn't worth the risk.

Or as Alexander Pope put it three centuries ago:

"Be not the first by whom the new are tried

Nor yet the last to lay the old aside."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements