cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me Identify This Canon Camera

Jeffandjeff
Apprentice

I do not know if I have posted this in the correct section of the forum, so my apologies in advance. 

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this camera. I have searched the words "EOS ELAN" online, but none of the results seem to match the camera exactly. I need to know so that I can purchase the correct battery and film. Another question I have is whether there is an online manual that i might access to learn about the camera functions. If anyone knows this information, please reply. You have my gratitude.

Some possibly helpful information on the camera:

My dad purchased it new in the late 80s to early 90s though I am not sure of the exact year.

The green strap is the original.

The lense cover is NOT the original cover.

Here is the imgur Album containing all the images: https://imgur.com/a/WGkq8

8 REPLIES 8

lly3988
Rising Star

Thank you so much! 

John_B
Rising Star

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!
This is an EOS Elan SLR film camera introduced in 1991. You can find more information on this camera at our Camera Canon Museum

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/film148.html 

Thank you so much for the information and welcome! I wasn't expecting to get any replies so soon.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The camera takes "35mm" film... that's the width of the strip of film from edge to edge but includes the area where the holes are punched (so the sprockets in the camera can advance the film).  The actual area where the camera projects the image onto the film is only 24mm high (and 36mm wide).

You'll find you have loads of film choices among various types of color film vs. various types of B&W and we'd use them for different reasons.

For example, the everyday film I'd use was basic Kodacolor Gold film.  Back in the day I used to shoot weddings using something called Kodak VPS (VPS = Vericolor Professional type S) because the color tones were gently subdued... you might even say just a touch to the pastel side (without looking like pastel).  But I appreciated that this subdued color conveyed a sense of softness and beauty... vs. color film that's a bit more edgy -- with jammy "in your face" saturated color.  They no longer make VPS film... but today I think Kodak claims that their "Portra" has similar gentle color tone qualities.  

It's getting harder to find labs to process the film.  I've been into shops that tell me they used to turn-around film in an hour... but as digital took over, it wasn't worthwhile to keep the equipment and staff there all day for the occasional person who would wander in.  So they often only process on certain days.

My formula used to be that it would cost an average of $15 per 12 exposures by the time you factor in the cost to buy the film, process, and print the film.  That adds up since it costs practically nothing to do it with digital.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh my, an Elan.  A true blast from the past.  One 'feature' or lack of was auto wind and re-wind.  I still see them for sale on the used market for $50 to $100 bucks for a mint copy.  It can use any EF lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thor33433
Apprentice

When I tried to post a similar request, I couldn't find where to type the text of my message.  Can you help me?

(I had no trouble typing in the subject)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

At the top menu select a category like EOS DSLR & Mirrorless Cameras.

Then click on the Start a conversation tab.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements