cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me Fix My Canon 80D!

DannyBPro
Apprentice

Hello guys, i need some major help here. While working on a film shoot my canon 80D LCD screen broke. The screen works and everything but the hinge broke off and now i cant move the LCD screen. Does anyone know where can i find a replacement part or something. Any infomation will help me thank you

-Cheers

5 REPLIES 5

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@DannyBPro wrote:

Hello guys, i need some major help here. While working on a film shoot my canon 80D LCD screen broke. The screen works and everything but the hinge broke off and now i cant move the LCD screen. Does anyone know where can i find a replacement part or something. Any infomation will help me thank you

-Cheers

Have you considered logging a job with your local or regional Canon service centre?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have went to my local store to see how much it will cost to fix the screen but they want $300 plus to fix the whole screen sadly. All i need to fix is the Hinge.

OK, in that case I suggest you go onto your local trading site or eBay and look for a broken 80D camera for parts.  You might get it for considerably less than the $300 you quote.  That said, dissassembling a camera body comes with its own risks - infiltration by dust, electro-static discharge etc.  So the risk is yours.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@DannyBPro wrote:
I have went to my local store to see how much it will cost to fix the screen but they want $300 plus to fix the whole screen sadly. All i need to fix is the Hinge.

Two things.  One, the "hinge" is more than a simple mechanical device.  There are wiring connections running through it.  

Secondly, manufacturers dropped the practice of making component level repairs on electronics years ago.  Repairs are made by changing out entire assemblies.  The labor costs involved in removing and tearing down an assembly, replacing a component, and then reassembling and reinstalling it exceeds the cost to simply swap out the entire assembly.

DIY repairs are great, if you can pull it off.  I feel that this is what money is for.  I pay people to fix things, even when I could probably do it myself, provided I had the needed tools and resources to complete the repair.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I have went to my local store to see how much it will cost to fix the screen but they want $300 ..."

It needs to go back to Canon. It will be better and probably cheaper in the long run. Canon will not only fix the problem but will check out the entire camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements