Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Planning to upgrade my 70D

I've been using the 70D for almost 2 years, and I've noticed that because of my pretty big hands, the body feels small and so I wanna upgrade to a bigger one, something like the 5D M3 but a lot cheaper. It could either be FF or crop, as long as it's bigger and the IQ is similar. Photography is a huge hobby of mine, I'd say I'm pretty advanced but not pro yet. One more thing- I prefer suggestions for bodies under $500. Thanks in advance!

Reputable Contributor

Re: Planning to upgrade my 70D

[ Edited ]

Your budget doesn’t really allow you to upgrade to a Full Frame camera because you would probably need to buy new Full Frame compatible lenses as well.

A used Canon 7D is slightly larger than a 70D and can be bought for less than $500.

A lower cost option is a battery grip for your 70D that will totally change the way the camera feels in your hand.

949E06FD-9526-429A-9477-2BA4D28A6AFF.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
Frequent Contributor

I'll consider the battery grip option, thank you!
In terms of lenses, I've got the 50mm f1.8 and 24-105mm L.
Reputable Contributor

Both your lenses are compatible with Full Frame cameras but only the original 5D can be bought for about $500. The 5D Mk II will cost about $700-900.

The 5D has great image quality but it is only 13MP and does not have great high ISO performance. The menu system and rear LCD display are also much inferior to what you are used to on your 70D.  You would also be giving up Liveview and Video. 

Mike Sowsun
Frequent Contributor

I only take photos, so I don't really mind not having live view or video.
VIP

@idanidan123 wrote:

Stick to buying a battery grip.  I think you will like it better than the near obsolete 5D, which is more of a novelty today than a functional camera for a photo enthusiast.  

I do not think Canon US services the 5D, anymore.  So, why buy it, unless you want to start your own museum?  In fact, I recommend buying either a 1D Series, or a battery grip with any camera that you might select for an upgrade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor

Isn't the 1D series super expensive?
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

A used 1D Mk III sells for about $400-$600 and a 1D Mk IV is about $800-$1,000.

They are both 1.3x crop PRO cameras. 

Mike Sowsun
Frequent Contributor

And what about the 7D and 7D Mark 2?
Reputable Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

@idanidan123 wrote:

Stick to buying a battery grip.  I think you will like it better than the near obsolete 5D, which is more of a novelty today than a functional camera for a photo enthusiast.  

I do not think Canon US services the 5D, anymore.  So, why buy it, unless you want to start your own museum?  In fact, I recommend buying either a 1D Series, or a battery grip with any camera that you might select for an upgrade.

Good advice.... The 5D and 7D series are both really not that much larger than the 70D. What you really need is a battery grip if you have large hands. 

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike Sowsun