cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture with 12800 ISO, does anyone allow their camera to go that high?

ilzho
Rising Star

I shot a friends band at a restaurant and have a few questions.
It was not ideal lighting, but I think overall it was 'ok' for an inside patio with little light around.
My 7d Mark II wanted to go to 12800 Iso all night long, because I had it on auto iso and the lack of light. I shot in RAW.

I shot most of the pics in Manual, 2.8, 1/200-320 ss, center-weighted metering, auto iso and auto wb.

I would then set my iso to 6400 or even 3200, but the pics were VERY dark on the lcd screen. 

Maybe I shouldn't put too much weight on the lcd screen? I looked at the histogram and it didn't help as everything was way too the left.

Not sure if the high iso is common in these situations or maybe I have accidentally set something that I don't remember doing that's 'asking' the camera to go that high. I can manually set the iso or set the range, but maybe I did something else, not sure...  

This picture below was taken at 55 mm in manual mode, 2.8, 1/200 ss, iso 12800. My lens is EF-S 17-55 2.8 is, usm.
I lightened it up in lightroom, a lot, and reduced the noise, a lot. In the background there is a nice big blue/red Lite Beer sign as you can see the blue lights in the upper left corner.
Black and white is ok for some of these photos, but the color is a challenge for me.

Also, this musician loves to bounce, bend, and move around, so straighten the pictures is also a challenge as nothing in the background is straight. The bricks aren't nor is the banner, haha....

Your opinion, does it look ok?
It's just for him, his band and his family. I did it for fun, because I like the music and he's a friend.383A8584.jpg
15 REPLIES 15

diverhank
Authority

I think it looks quite nice.  But the face looks quite soft...I think you had the focus on the guitar and not his eye...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Well, I had the single AF point near the top of my view finder, but he dips and dives and if you aren't ready, you'll miss.... haha, which in this case that maybe true. I just picked this photo, haven't gone through and did any deletions yet......

It maybe that since I have to lighten them so much and take out all of the noise, maybe that makes everything look soft? not sure....

@diverhank wrote:

I think it looks quite nice.  But the face looks quite soft...I think you had the focus on the guitar and not his eye...

I would have done the same. The guitar being played is the main subject. From that angle, you can't see his eyes anyway.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Nice shot.  It really is.  Smiley HappySmiley Happy  Nice work in post, especially.

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

Sometimes it helps to know how much DOF you're goint to have ahed of time.  I always look this over when selecting a lens to use for a given scenario..  At a distance of 10 feet, you should have had just over one foot. 

Under low light conditions, I will sometimes underexpose by 1-3 stops, just to get a higher shutter speed, and correct it in post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks....

I tried to slow the shutter speed to allow more light in, but it was too much motion/blurry.

I didn't bother using tv or av, I was determined (stubborn) to learn and force myself to use manual mode. 🙂

@ilzho wrote:

Thanks....

I tried to slow the shutter speed to allow more light in, but it was too much motion/blurry.

I didn't bother using tv or av, I was determined (stubborn) to learn and force myself to use manual mode. 🙂

And that is the answer to your question. It is fairly easy to clean up high ISO noise. It is next to impossible to repair motion blur. Given that your lens was already wide open your only choice is to raise the ISO as much as needed which on the 7D Mk II could include ISO 16000.

Yes, I'm learning......

You guys have been great, and I really appreciate it....

OK shot Smiley Happy especially for conditions.

The only one that needs to say so is the person that you are supplying it to.  BTW, if the blue bothers you that too is easily correctable in post.

My personal routine is to do lens correction upon import in LR. Then set the detail to 1.0 and about 25 or 30.  Less is usually more there. Otherwise you get the super contrasty photos some guys try to pass off as nailed focus and IQ.

Lastly, I do the over correction like cropping and fixing the blue area if warranted.  Whatever other stuff it needs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't mind a litte blue, it kind of adds a little 'club' effect.

Can you explain the detail that your talking about.

I assume your talking about noise reduction, detailed at 1.0 and the luminance about 25??

Hoinestly I don't mind a little grain in some of my photos.

Announcements