cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos Not Saved to Cards?

Davoud
Enthusiast

5D Mark IV, everything up to date. It has been a while since I did any tethered shooting with DPP and EOS utility. Last night I made some tethered exposures. The JPGs downloaded to the Mac but no photos were saved to the cards. Where did I miss the menu item that would enable saving RAW and JPG to the cards? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That feature was removed from EOS Utility 3. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Ray-uk
Whiz

Look in EOS utility under preferences, but exactly where you find it depends on your version.

Probably best to look at the online manual for EOS utility and remember that some if its options are not available until the camera is connected.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That feature was removed from EOS Utility 3. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for taking time to reply. Removed? What were they thinking!?

It states here:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/canon_software/inside_eos_utility_3_0.do?page=4

that you still have the option to save to card if you shoot wirelessly, I don't so I have never tried it.

Yes, sounds great, but iI'm afraid it doesn't fit my situation. I'm preparing for the August 21 solar eclipse (6D on a Questar Duplex). I need the camera to run for 3+ hours on a single battery (if possible; I'll have a few charged spares). I'm not sure it can do that in the hot sun with WiFi and/or GPS enabled. But I'll be testing all of that, along with my CamRanger.

Why would you need the 6D GPS enabled for the entire 3 hours?  Take one or two reference shots with GPS enabled, to document your location, and then disable it.  Use the GPS Map Utility to copy that info to the rest of your shots.  You can als save power when GPS is enabled by changing the update interval.  

As for Wi-Fi, good luck with that.  It doesn't seem to drain as severely as GPS, but it's an extra drain just the same.  Having spare batteries on hand sounds good.  Using a battery grip sounds good.  Disabling stuff like the shot preview on the LCD after every shot sounds good.  Conducting a couple of practice runs, sounds even better.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Why would you need the 6D GPS enabled for the entire 3 hours?

Where did I say that I would need the GPS? That was a "for example." I never use the 6D GPS because defective camera firmware does not turn the 6D GPS off when the camera is turned off. Yes, I know I could turn it on and off manually each time I use the camera, but I shouldn't have to do that, and I'm not going to do that. I don't have to do it on my 5D Mark IV, e.g. As for adding coordinates to the metadata, in the case of the 6D it is much easier for me to do that in Lightroom.

If power is the issue, why not get the AC adapter? If you are in the field you can get an inverter to run off a car battery.

If power is the issue...

Power is not the issue. The issue is "Photos Not Saved to Cards." jrhoffman75 answered it: That feature was removed from EOS Utility 3.

And I have found an oleer version of Canon Utilities on a backup drive. If it will run under Sierra, problem solved. Otherwise, Camranger.

Announcements