cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE HELP!! Canon EOS M3 as a Streaming Facecam

DanPratama
Apprentice

Greetings,

Guys, can anyone help me with my new camera. I recently got Canon EOS M3 and I'm wondering if i can use this as a webcam for my streaming on Twitch or Youtube.

Can you give me a certain steps or manual to set this up and get the best performance?

If somehow I can't use this camera as webcam (too bad), can you suggest me other mirrorless series within the price range of this EOS M3 that I can use as a webcam? I really love this camera but maybe i will consider to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dan

10 REPLIES 10

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The feature you are looking for is "clean HDMI out".  

For most cameras that can record video, if you connect the HDMI output to an external video monotor, what you see on that monitor mirrors what you see on the camera screen -- with all the shooting information being displayed.  While the shooting info is helpful when shooting actual video, it's no good for streaming because all that info will show up in your stream.  If the videos aren't "live" and you can record to camera before posting... the recorded video wont show all that info.

Some cameras off "clean HDMI out" which means you get *just* the video information with no extra info overlaid.

There is another caveat.  Since you are not actually "recording" with the camera... but using it like a webcam to stream stream the video so that something else can display it... the camera *thinks* it is idle... and will likely sleep the image sensor after a few minutes of not being used.

I'm unaware of any of the current "mirrorless" bodies offering this.  You can get it in the 7D II, 5D III & IV, ID X II, (but these aren't "mirrorless" cameas) and I think all of the EOS-Cinema (EOS C) series cameras.  

Most cameras designed primarily for video will do this.  But these are cameras designed for still photography and happen to be able to also do a limited amount of video ... not quite the same as having a camera made primarily for video.

The EOS M50 *might* work for you.  (Frankly, I'd try to rent one and test it ... before buying.)   

Some of the Panasonic Lumix can do this (specifcally the GH5 & GH4 ... but most others cannot.)

BTW, for many cameras, to save space, they use a micro/nano HDMI port instead of a full size HDMI output port... which means you need an adapter.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

He doesn't want clean HDMI, he wants to stream over USB.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@DanPratama wrote:

Greetings,

Guys, can anyone help me with my new camera. I recently got Canon EOS M3 and I'm wondering if i can use this as a webcam for my streaming on Twitch or Youtube.

Can you give me a certain steps or manual to set this up and get the best performance?

If somehow I can't use this camera as webcam (too bad), can you suggest me other mirrorless series within the price range of this EOS M3 that I can use as a webcam? I really love this camera but maybe i will consider to replace it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dan

That would be a big negative.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

LoudMime
Apprentice
hello. i solved this problem using vysor and camera connect. i live stream using obs with it. enjoy

Hi,

I'm a science teacher and I'm looking to use my canon M3 as my webcam. Could you give me a little more detail as to how you set up your system?

Thanks,

Ray 

@TellDunkin wrote:

Hi,

I'm a science teacher and I'm looking to use my canon M3 as my webcam. Could you give me a little more detail as to how you set up your system?

Thanks,

Ray 

CCDFF95E-F02D-4888-9525-F5560370E1AA.jpeg

The M3 has not been sold in years.  The SL3 is probably the least expensive camera on this list.

Can you please elaborate on how you fix the problem?

I have the same EOS M3 and I wanted to use it for streaming but the display keeps going to sleep mode and makes it impossible to live stream. There is no webcam utility for this model. 

@MikeC12 wrote:

Can you please elaborate on how you fix the problem?

I have the same EOS M3 and I wanted to use it for streaming but the display keeps going to sleep mode and makes it impossible to live stream. There is no webcam utility for this model. 

The EOS M3 does not support remote shooting vis USB.  Use a different camera.

Announcements