Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Out of focus images? What am i doing wrong?

I recently purchased a canon eos m50 for my tattooing. I am used to using an iphone where you just point snd press. My subject seem to come out slightly out of focus and dark on one edge.EDE192DC-FA4F-4A16-8BC3-3CB703180374.jpeg

VIP

Re: Out of focus images? What am i doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum. 

An iPhone has a much smaller sensor, which gives a greater depth of field, and also does a lot of computerized photo processing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
Occasional Contributor

So what should i do to better my photos with this canon?
VIP

The tattoo portion of the image looks to have good exposure. The dark portions of the image can be brightened by getting some light onto them. Maybe put a light fixture behind the subject to illuminate the background slightly.

You would also want to get a smaller f/stop (larger number). What were the camera settings for the image you posted?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Occasional Contributor

Im not sur i know nothing of camera settings i’m not sure if i’m better off using manual focus or the assisted. Back in the day i had a canon rebel that did everything similar to my iphone i just half pressed and it would focus.
Occasional Contributor

Also the left side of the skull is out of focus. In all my photos there seems to be partial focus. I’m using area focus option
VIP

I suggest using single point focus and place the focus point on the item you want in focus.

What camera mode are you using?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Occasional Contributor

I use manual focus with a polorizing lense aswell as additional flash attached with polorized film( fresh tattoos are shinny so light reflets into the camera) imake some lense adjustmants using hand while wathing display and i also try with the lense fixed and move camera forward and back while viewing eye viewer. Than i repeat on assisted setting aswell. Sadly with all these pics theres always a focus issue it seems
Occasional Contributor

Pardon my poor spelling and punctuation. My grammar is as good as my photography lol
VIP

Can you post the image on a share site like DropBox so I can examine photo settings and details?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH