cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Out of focus images? What am i doing wrong?

Tat2abe
Contributor

I recently purchased a canon eos m50 for my tattooing. I am used to using an iphone where you just point snd press. My subject seem to come out slightly out of focus and dark on one edge.EDE192DC-FA4F-4A16-8BC3-3CB703180374.jpeg

18 REPLIES 18

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Can you post the image on a share site like DropBox so I can examine photo settings and details?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tat2abe
Contributor
Absolutely just tell me what stepps to do so . Thank you btw any tipps on what settings i should use or anything is much appreciated

Are you sure you need both a polarizer on the lens as well as polarizer sheets/gels on your lights? While that can lead to some very creative style of photography with certain plastics, I think you only need one or the other to remove glare/reflections from what you're photographing.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

In terms of blur... if you choose to manually focus, that can be very tricky.  I would recommend using autofocus so you can concentrate on other aspects.

What specific lens are you using?  If you are close to your subject and using a wider aperature (e.g. f/2.8, f/3.5), then what is in focus can be very narrow.  For certain camera/lens combinations, it can be extremely narrow as in a few millimeters.   So things in front of and behind that will go out of focus.   You tend to see this in portraits where the eyes will be in focus, but the tip of the nose and then the ears will be out of focus.

In your case, if the tattoo is on a flat part of the body, that shouldn't be an issue.  But for an arm where the tattoo would wrap around, you'll need to ensure you have wider depth of field.  One way to do that is the close down the aperture (higher f-stop numbers like f/8.

Another way to get deeper depth of field is to use wider angle lenses.  However, they tend to distort things if not careful.  I image you want to showcase your artwork as it appears in real life as much as possible.   If your lens has telephoto capability, perhaps move back from your subject as much as possible, then zoom the lens in as much as possible.  Especially with a narrower aperture and your subject now being further away, that should keep more things all in focus.

--
Ricky

Tat2abe
Contributor
I looked up “ how to take beter tattoo photos” and researched an researched. A couple videos suggested an actual camera-check=“canon eos m50” bestbuy guy talked me into i geuss. Than a polarized circular lense=check as well as a flash atavhment with polarized filter because the light source aswell as the camera lense needed to be polarized to not cancel eachother out. I use dim light in background and the lense that came with the canon m50. I will purchase a 3rd party lense if needed.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  put a light fixture behind the subject to illuminate the background slightly."

This not only will not help, it may make things worse so don't do it. Sometimes we try to out think the camera and sometimes the camera is smarter then we are. Get rid of all the gadgets and attachments. Set the M50 to P mode and the lens to AF  Give that a try.

I assume the room you are shooting in is reasonably lighted? If not increase the ambient light as much as you can. Forget flash for now.  Flash isn't a beginner thing  or easy to set up correctly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I'm not onto skulls myself but that is a cool tat.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tat2abe
Contributor

You all been very helpful. Im getting better. I now use the same eos m50 only i picked up a manual 50mm lens. I took the diffuser film off of the light attachment an still use diffuser lens. My issue seems to be when auto focus the green square never covers the entire tattoo only a portion so the outer portion of tattoo is always blurred

DDCE351E-75EA-42AB-94DA-494A8343F613.jpeg

E99B57DE-CA22-4BC5-B6A3-70EE685C0C63.jpeg

8988FF6F-53B2-4820-8D1C-9421EEC3132E.jpeg

Having the camera that close to the subject, it may not be possible to get the entire tattoo in focus due to depth of field (especially for the areas on the sides of the arms).

Along the length of the arm, to keep the majority in focus, you'll need to be sure that the surface of the arm is as perpendicular to you lens as possible.   And angling of your lens will lead to areas being out-of-focus.

To also help with having more in focus, try using narrower apertures (e.g. at least f/5.6, but also f/8, f/11, etc.).  The con of doing this is you'll need to add in more light, and/or increase ISO.

--
Ricky

Announcements