cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Out of focus images? What am i doing wrong?

Tat2abe
Contributor

I recently purchased a canon eos m50 for my tattooing. I am used to using an iphone where you just point snd press. My subject seem to come out slightly out of focus and dark on one edge.EDE192DC-FA4F-4A16-8BC3-3CB703180374.jpeg

18 REPLIES 18

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

An iPhone has a much smaller sensor, which gives a greater depth of field, and also does a lot of computerized photo processing. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tat2abe
Contributor
So what should i do to better my photos with this canon?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
The tattoo portion of the image looks to have good exposure. The dark portions of the image can be brightened by getting some light onto them. Maybe put a light fixture behind the subject to illuminate the background slightly.

You would also want to get a smaller f/stop (larger number). What were the camera settings for the image you posted?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tat2abe
Contributor
Im not sur i know nothing of camera settings i’m not sure if i’m better off using manual focus or the assisted. Back in the day i had a canon rebel that did everything similar to my iphone i just half pressed and it would focus.

Tat2abe
Contributor
Also the left side of the skull is out of focus. In all my photos there seems to be partial focus. I’m using area focus option

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I suggest using single point focus and place the focus point on the item you want in focus.

What camera mode are you using?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tat2abe
Contributor
I use manual focus with a polorizing lense aswell as additional flash attached with polorized film( fresh tattoos are shinny so light reflets into the camera) imake some lense adjustmants using hand while wathing display and i also try with the lense fixed and move camera forward and back while viewing eye viewer. Than i repeat on assisted setting aswell. Sadly with all these pics theres always a focus issue it seems

I hope all your filters and gels are circularly polarized. Linearly polarized light can wreak havoc with exposure and focus because of the mirrors involved.

Tat2abe
Contributor
Pardon my poor spelling and punctuation. My grammar is as good as my photography lol
Announcements