cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion for excellent quality amateur camera

Saddlepotato06
Apprentice
Hi there everybody. I am a horse trainer. Part of my job includes taking sales pictures and video and I also really enjoy photographing at horse shows, plus the odd landscape/portrait/macro shots. I am upgrading my Rebel Xti. The auto-focus sensor is whacked out and the camera itself is 12+ years old at this point.

I need an all around good quality camera to bring my photography up to standard, and I would love your opinions on what to aim for on a modest budget. While I am not a professional photographer, I am a professional trainer and would like my images to look as such.

Currently I am looking at the 5D Mark ii or iii, the 6D, 7D and the 60D. I would like to have an SD card reader and video capabilities, but those are both negotiable. It must be competitive in low light and with speedy shutter speeds (and bursts). From my understanding, the Rebel series is for not-so-serious amateurs so I would like to stay away from those, but be able to use my collection of EOS lenses.

If anyone could help me narrow down my selection (or offer something new) I would be forever indebted to you.

Paige
6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If the autofocus capability of your XTi hadn't failed, what would you want to be doing with the camera that you couldn't?

The cameras you mentioned do have higher level features that a Rebel, but Rebels are very capable cameras.

If you Google Rebel (model) versus (other camera) you will get hits that list the differences and you can see what they are and if they will matter to you.

For exanple: http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/60d/vs/canon/t7i/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Saddlepotato06
Apprentice
My Rebel has served me very well, I have no large complaints about it except that the technology of it is out of date.

Minor complaints:
The CF card it requires is much more expensive to purchase, plus having to keep around a portable card reader for it as most computers are equipped with one seems a hassle I could easily avoid with an SD card, but I do have these things already, so it is a feature I am willing to compromise on.
I can only adjust the aperture down to 5.0, which is not enough in low light, such as an indoor arena. (I am aware that I need to upgrade to a lens with lower f stop capabilities, maybe that is all I need to do for that? I have a 35mm, a standard 55mm and a 250mm zoom.)
The megapixels on my model is only 8-10.
I would also put preference on a model that does video.
The shutter burst is not as fast as I would like and am hoping this is a speedier feature in newer versions.

Both of my Canons, I also have a a film SLR, have been great cameras, and now I am hoping to step into a big girl camera that I can move up to.

I think the Rebel T7i will do all that you want.

If you are willing to go refurbished canon has the T6s for $650. A very good body.

You are correct - if you want to go to a larger aperture than f/5 you need a better lens. Look into the EF-S 17-55mm.and the 70-200 mm f/4.

But, if you are looking for low light capability more that high shutter speed you may find the the high ISO capability of the newer camras will let you get the photos you want with much less noise that your XTi.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I am upgrading my Rebel Xti."

If you were satisfied with your Rebel the new T7i will fit the bill nicely so I agree with the above suggestion.

"I am looking at the 5D Mark ii or iii, the 6D, 7D and the 60D..."

Nada, if this is the course you have decided on, you want the EOS 80D.  If possible get it with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

"I would like to have an SD card reader and video capabilities, but those are both negotiable."

The T7i or the 80D both use SD cards.  They both do video, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Saddlepotato06
Apprentice
Thank you! I will look into the t7i and the 80D. 🤘

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Saddlepotato06 wrote:
Hi there everybody. I am a horse trainer. Part of my job includes taking sales pictures and video and I also really enjoy photographing at horse shows, plus the odd landscape/portrait/macro shots. I am upgrading my Rebel Xti. The auto-focus sensor is whacked out and the camera itself is 12+ years old at this point.

I need an all around good quality camera to bring my photography up to standard, and I would love your opinions on what to aim for on a modest budget. While I am not a professional photographer, I am a professional trainer and would like my images to look as such.

Currently I am looking at the 5D Mark ii or iii, the 6D, 7D and the 60D. I would like to have an SD card reader and video capabilities, but those are both negotiable. It must be competitive in low light and with speedy shutter speeds (and bursts). From my understanding, the Rebel series is for not-so-serious amateurs so I would like to stay away from those, but be able to use my collection of EOS lenses.

If anyone could help me narrow down my selection (or offer something new) I would be forever indebted to you.

Paige

Hi Paige,

One thing I noticed from your post.  You are considering both APS-C and FF bodies.  Are you invested in APS-C lenses now?  You stated, "But be able to use my collection of EOS lenses" Are these EF or EF-S?  APS-C lenses will not work with a FF body, so you need to pick a standard, and provide us an actual dollar amount for your "modest" budget.  Then we can make better recommendations.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements