cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operate M5 Without Lens?

Davoud
Enthusiast

I attempted to operate my M5 on a microscope, which means "without lens" as far as the camera knows. The camera was set to manual mode. The shutter would not activate either from the camera or from Canon Camera Connect on my iPad. In the case of the iPad I had a WiFi connection and could see the subject on the display. Ideas about what I may have done wrong? Thanks!

The workaround was to mount my 6D on the microscope. A bit heavier than the M5, but it worked just fine via the iPad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

larryc43230
Enthusiast

You need to change one of the Custom Functions Settings to allow the camera to release the shutter with no lens attached.

Press the Menu button.

Go to the Custom Functions tab in the menu.

Select "C.Fn II: Others."

Go to the third item, "Release shutter w/o lens".

Change that setting to "1: Enable".

--Larry

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Davoud wrote:

I attempted to operate my M5 on a microscope, which means "without lens" as far as the camera knows. The camera was set to manual mode. The shutter would not activate either from the camera or from Canon Camera Connect on my iPad. In the case of the iPad I had a WiFi connection and could see the subject on the display. Ideas about what I may have done wrong? Thanks!

The workaround was to mount my 6D on the microscope. A bit heavier than the M5, but it worked just fine via the iPad.

I don't have an M5 or a microscope, but I do have the M3 and manual lenses.  Same difference.  What shooting modes did you use on the M5 and 6D.  You should use one of the creative modes.  I've always used the Manual mode with the M5 when I use a manual lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

larryc43230
Enthusiast

You need to change one of the Custom Functions Settings to allow the camera to release the shutter with no lens attached.

Press the Menu button.

Go to the Custom Functions tab in the menu.

Select "C.Fn II: Others."

Go to the third item, "Release shutter w/o lens".

Change that setting to "1: Enable".

--Larry

Thank you, Larry! I knew it was in there somewhere.

wvperegrine
Apprentice
Because the menus are nearly the same in my M6, the menu details about where to enable shooting “without a lens” were also very helpful to me, so thanks!

I have one manual lens adapter for my old Leica lenses, another on the way for my old Canon FD lenses. I’m happy to use this good old glass on a digital camera at last. For anyone else so inclined, I do want to note here that these manual lenses will work on AV (aperture priority) as well as Manual settings.
Announcements