cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only Menus Display on Screen on Mark IV

hexonxonx
Contributor

I am brand new to this camera and I just got the camera today and unfortunately I left the manual at my house that I moved from today so I don't have one.

How do I get the picture that I want to shoot to display on the screen. Right now it stays dark unless I display the menu or other settings.

Also, no matter what SD card I try in this camera it says no card in camera so I can't even format it. It's just not seeing it. I can't format it on my computer because I have a Mac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
There are many examples on this forum where microSD cards in adapters don’t always work. Try a full size SD card to eliminate that variable.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@hexonxonx wrote:
I bought both an SD card and a CF card. Both are in the camera and working perfectly!

It's been many years since I had a camera like this. I started with photography back in high school. Took two years of photography back when film was the thing and learned how to develop and process my own prints. I had an old Pentax camera back then that had a light meter on top of it. It was good times.

That's great. Those microSD cards just don't seem to function reliably in Canon cameras.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Micro SD cards work great in native micro SD slots but I wouldn't use them anywhere else.  One problem is the adapters are generally cheaply made and often don't reliably fit the contacts in the device to which they are mated; I suspect this is why they often don't work well in Canon cameras.  And with extensive use, the contacts inside the adapter itself are likely to wear and become less reliable in making contact with the memory card itself.

But even if the adapter appears to work reliably in the camera, there is another very good reason not to use them where maximum card performance is needed (like recording extended bursts of photos or 4K video) because the native card performance is often reduced by the adapter even though it is a purely passive device.  Data transfer is occurring in the high RF (radio frequency) range and layout and length of the extremely short connecting lines in the adapter can and do reduce the transfer rate given the very high frequency at which high speed memory operates.  One of the more useful discoveries in the high end test and measurement world during the 1950s was that a very short matched transmission line provides a useful short delay in signal transfer which is wonderful when you are trying to view the actual triggering event on an oscilloscope but not so wonderful when you want maximum transfer rate with a memory card.  So your cheap micro to regular SD adapter is cheapening the performance of your expensive micro memory card.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements