cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Canon DSLR

jbcohen
Contributor

I have an old Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and would like to get the old manual for it.  Does Canon keep copies of old models?

42 REPLIES 42

Just thinking real quick that yes the corners would tend to cause problems with light beyond what I can explain

John_,

This makes it all of this worthwhile to me, "And yes the lighbulb went off ..."

That is all I am really after.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

John_,

"I'm surprised at the temperature of a few responses of those who are just expressing their thoughts and experience. Luckily I'm to new debate lol !"

Don't be.  There is always some guy with a superiority complex that believes he must become the internet police. It is best for you to just ignor him.  I do and don't give him the satisfaction of a reply.

No offense, but from what I see you're being that guy.  There's a really good reason the term "crop" stuck and it actually serves a purpose when people want to understand why the same lens produces a narrower angle of view on an APS-C camera, and particularly in understanding why DOF appears so different (talk about a myth).  And it seems more than a little disingenuous when you use the term and then start policing people who try to explain what it means - and with a definite superiority complex.  Not sure why you're so adamant about it.  And I think you're doing your park and rec students a disservice by telling them nothing is cropped.  The image circle is definitely cropped.  And it's done more on an APS-C camera, so it's called a "cropped sensor".  Why is that so problematic for you?  

tallrob,

It sounds like to me anyway this is good advice to you, too.  "It is best for you to just ignor him."  No matter just whom you think he is.

Most of the rest of your reply I am not sure I completely understand.  But appearently you and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject. 

EB

I'll make my own decision who to ignore, thank you very much.  You really have that superiority complex down.  

I'm not sure on what there is to agree or disagree about.  You use a term that you oppose, and then police others who use it. You're really baiting people.  And why you can't understand the rest of my post can only be explained by a lack of trying.  Incredible.

wow.

OK,  I give up, there is and end to it.  Let's just let the others decide for themselves.

EB

The nature of lenses is like that of your eye - round. I don't know that they could make a square (or rectangular) piece of refractive glass. And then there would be the problem of how aperture blades would function. And the nature of paper and camera sensors and computer screens is rectangular. I imagine it wouldn't be very efficient to manufacture round sensors, screens or paper. So, the lens throws a round image and the sensor crops it square. And some sensors crop more than others. 🙂

@tallrob wrote:
The nature of lenses is like that of your eye - round. I don't know that they could make a square (or rectangular) piece of refractive glass. And then there would be the problem of how aperture blades would function. And the nature of paper and camera sensors and computer screens is rectangular. I imagine it wouldn't be very efficient to manufacture round sensors, screens or paper. So, the lens throws a round image and the sensor crops it square. And some sensors crop more than others. 🙂

Back before you were born (most likely), at least one TV manufacturer tried round TV screens, presumably because it's cheaper to make round CRTs. They were not well received.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@tallrob wrote:

Back before you were born (most likely), at least one TV manufacturer tried round TV screens, presumably because it's cheaper to make round CRTs. They were not well received.

Very interesting.  Yes, well before my time I think.

tallrob,

You are correct the term has indeed "stuck" possibly as it seemed to somebody way back as a suitable one.  But nevertheless it is inaccurate.  However, you and I will likely continue to use it and cuss and discuss it from now on.

EB
Announcements