cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Canon DSLR

jbcohen
Contributor

I have an old Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT and would like to get the old manual for it.  Does Canon keep copies of old models?

42 REPLIES 42

Ok why are you so loyal to CF cards ? Or need 2 different card types in one camera ?

@John_ wrote:

Ok why are you so loyal to CF cards ? Or need 2 different card types in one camera ?

In my case, it's because I have a couple dozen of them. And when I bought my wife a T2i, I wasn't happy that it took only SD cards.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

John_ wrote:

In my case, it's because I have a couple dozen of them. And when I bought my wife a T2i, I wasn't happy that it took only SD cards.

I am not sure that is a good reason but it is a reason, I guess.  CF cards are faster and they are more robust.  Granted this difference has dimished in the last little bit of time but never the less it's there. They are easier to handle.

The two slots allow much more flexibility. Different file types or real time backups, etc. In a consumer camera this is not as important.  But in a pro model it is essential.

And with a Canon pro camera you get both.  So you do get the best of either format.  SD or CD. Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ok that makes sense I thought the answer would be along those lines including the flexibility in the Pro lines of cameras. I haven't looked at the pro lines of Canon cameras and for me at my level the SX50HS is enough to handle and learn. Do the pro series have the 2 slots ?

Thanks for the reply !

@John_ wrote:

Ok that makes sense I thought the answer would be along those lines including the flexibility in the Pro lines of cameras. I haven't looked at the pro lines of Canon cameras and for me at my level the SX50HS is enough to handle and learn. Do the pro series have the 2 slots ?

Thanks for the reply !

It's becoming more common, the 7D Mark II being the latest example. But the more conspicuous change is that when a new camera has only one card slot, it's almost certain to be for SD cards.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Do the pro series have the 2 slots ?"

All Canon's pro level cameras have two slots as do all of Nikon's.  It is almost a given anymore.  I used a Nikon D4 a couple days ago and I believe it had two CF slots????  The 1 series Canon pro all have a CF and a SD.  Except the first one, it had only one CF.

I won't comment on other brands as I don't consier them "pro level".

EB

I think I might get a current model power shot sx something to go with this XT.  I see a cheap open box sale at an electronics store near me.

tallrob
Contributor
I had a 5D and then a 5Dii, and when the 5Diii came out I realized I had a camera that was bin great condition, built like a tank but technologically obsolete. So I decided until the tech curve levels out I would go "entry level" and picked up a 6D. I never had two card slots before and really don't miss a second slot. Not really necessary. So 6D full frame vs 7D crop, I say go 6D. Great great camera for the money.

As a novice I ask a lot of questions...what do you mean by full frame 6D vs crop 7D ? Does the 7D crop the subject so that what you see through the veiwfinder is not what you get in the photo ?

John the term "crop sensor" is totally over used and misleading.  The wonderful 7D and 7D Mk II show you exactly what you get in the view finder or LCD screen.  To the vast majority of camera users the them, to them it is meaningless.

The only practical use is to give you a relationship of the focal length numbers on the lens compared to a 35mm film camera.

Some say it has a telephoto benefit.  And some photographers make use of this in sports and birders, etc.  Whether it is actually a benefit is up to debate.  If it is there is also the same loss of wide viewing on the short side.

Most consider a 35mm lens as "normal" on a crop camera and a 50mm is more "normal" on a FF body.  There again it is just numbers.

If you want a camera that is more "pro" in build and you want a speedy camera than the 7D series is for you.  If you do like the look that you get from a FF, better low light ability,  but are willing to take a lesser built and slower camera than the 6D is good.

Another benefit to the crop series of camera is less expensive lenses as it can use any lens Canon makes where the 6D can not.

Remember no camera does it all.  There is no free lunch in photography.  You give to get and you have choices.  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements