cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old 5d or new Rebel? Help Please!

MicheleL
Apprentice

Hi!

Lately I have been doing some research and questioning if I should sell my old 5d in exchange for a new Rebel (maybe the t5i?).  I take a lot of animal shelter photos, as well as travel/landscape/touristy photos.  I played with the t5i the other night and it just seems so much faster and the images seemed to be very crisp and clear (on the LCD).  I just don't know if that is a crazy idea.  I haven't been in the freelance game in quite a few years so I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to what the better camera is at this time.  I cannot afford another 5d to upgrade to the mark iv, iii or ii.

I was hoping you all could give me some opinions.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up finding a great deal via Adorama for a new t5i with the 18-135 lens, plus a pro-100 printer and accessories for $750 +no tax/free shipping.  I really wanted a DSLR that was smaller than my 5d with a built in flash for quick day trips and shelter photos.  Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

cicopo
Elite

What lenses do you currently have? It will help people give better advice.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

My go to lens is a 24-105 f.4, I also use a 50mm 1.8 on occasion.  I haven't purchased anything in quite a long time after falling out of the photo world.

The EF 24-105mm f4 is be a little long on a T5i (approx. 38-168mm).  Numbers that are really meaningless unless you have a specific purpose intended.  Most people use the 'free' tele to their advantage.  Just remember it is not be as wide on the short side.  You may want to consier a EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 as a compliment.  That would be a killer set up.

I retract my suggestion of getting the kit lens with the T5i as it will be far inferior to the 24-105mm f4 L you are used to.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@MicheleL wrote:

My go to lens is a 24-105 f.4, I also use a 50mm 1.8 on occasion.  I haven't purchased anything in quite a long time after falling out of the photo world.

Since you already have FF lenses, why not consider a used or refurbished 6D? That would be a significant step up from your 5D1, wouldn't it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Once again I agree with Robert. A full frame camera sure is nice for low light/hi ISO and for bokeh, and the usual impediment (needing to sell lenses and buy new ones) does not apply to you.

A refurb or used 6d would be a bargain.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I ended up finding a great deal via Adorama for a new t5i with the 18-135 lens, plus a pro-100 printer and accessories for $750 +no tax/free shipping.  I really wanted a DSLR that was smaller than my 5d with a built in flash for quick day trips and shelter photos.  Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I woke up this morning in your shoes, I would buy the Rebel T5i.  Not necessarily because the original 5D is not a good camera, it is.  But because the T5i is more up-to-date in the way it operates with newer technology.  The 5D is pretty long in the tooth.

The pictures it takes (the T5i) will be better but maybe not any more so than you require. How the camera handles and functions will be a plus.

The lens(s) you currently have will work on the T5i.  They will appear to magnify the photo somewhat so you may want to get the T5i with a kit lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks so much, ebiggs1.  That was very helpful!

NanciG
Contributor
A t5i or the 7d. I plan on getting a 7d mark 2 I have a t2i and played with the t4i and t5i. It is a solid series. All of them
Announcements