cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd filename creation...

San2C
Contributor

My 5DMKIII has been creating these odd filenames which makes ordering & viewing files a real pain in the arse. I don't recall changing any filename related settings in the camera, although I don't see how there would be an option for this mess. 

Thanks for any help. 

filenames.png

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I had a problem like this on my T6S. I have no idea what happened. I reformatted the card and it went away.

Hmmmm, I format my cards all the time. I will try erasing free space on a computer & then format in camera, thanks. 

If that doesn't work, you might try resetting the camera. I feel your pain. I imported a few hundred duplicates before I figured it out. 8^(

I just realized this only hapens when I use EOS Utility for "Quick Preview" mode. When I record to media in-camera, the file naming is normal. 

Unfortunately, Canon seems to have eliminated the option to record to camera media while sending only the jpg files to the computer for preview. 

Interesting. I have never used EOS_Utility - though I suppose Image Capture on the Mac could be using this "Quick Preview" mode.

That's gotta be it. I've had issues with Macs and file names before. 

Announcements