cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question 1, How do i take a photo after setting shutter to record video ?

StevieGMovies
Contributor

Hello,

First off i'm a total noob to cameras. I got my Canon m50 yesterday and i want it purely for video. 

I have it set up for video and i have assigned the shutter button to start recording video. 

Whilst setting up my setings i need to take a snap if a white paper to set WB.

How do i do this without changing the shutter assign everytime ? 

I know there's a simple solution somewhere but i'm a total noob and it's hurting my head 😞 

17 REPLIES 17

"YouTubes don't need real video cameras to shoot themselves blathering on in their bedrooms."

I am afraid you have to put up with people like him.  Although few they make their presence known. 

"If you don't know the answer to the question and don't have anything helpfull to suggest then please do not comment on any of my future posts."

Good luck with that request.  The ignore feature of the forum doesn't work which isn't helpful either. Back to your OP, I am not a video shooter so I don't know.  I was just curious why you didn't buy a video camera to begin with. You answered it and there is an end of it for me.

Anyway, good luck .

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@StevieGMovies wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

@StevieGMovies wrote:

Yes i considered it ........

Whilst setting up my setings i need to take a snap if a white paper to set WB.  How do i do this without changing the shutter assign everytime ? 

--------------------

I'm really dissapointed with the level of "help" being offered in this community. I would expect more from a "valued contributer".  I wouldn't mind a bit of cockyness if you answered my initial question.  

Plenty of people use the M50 for video outside of the bedreem. Cinematic / B-Roll / Leisure. Google canon m50 cinematic. It's a budget way of doing things for sure and i am aware that much better cameras are available at a much bigger price. 

If you don't know the answer to the question and don't have anything helpfull to suggest then please do not comment on any of my future posts. 

Thanks 

Don't be disapppointed.  The answer to your question is really simple.  Switch the camera out of video mode, and press the shutter.  Your question makes it blatantly obvioious that you need more practice and experience with the camera.  

If you have not downloaded the full User Manual from the M50 Product Support Page, then I suggest that you do so.  It is found on the same page where you download the Canon the software for your camera.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@StevieGMovies wrote:

Hello,

First off i'm a total noob to cameras. I got my Canon m50 yesterday and i want it purely for video. 

I have it set up for video and i have assigned the shutter button to start recording video. 

Whilst setting up my setings i need to take a snap if a white paper to set WB.

How do i do this without changing the shutter assign everytime ? 

I know there's a simple solution somewhere but i'm a total noob and it's hurting my head 😞 

I don't know that it will work, but the obvious answer is to reassign some other button to the original function of the shutter button. I'd think that the worst that could happen is that you'd need an extra step to turn off video before using the reassigned button. But at least you wouldn't have to reassign the shutter button each time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Again out of plain curiosity, does switching from stills to vid change out the button assignments?  You can tell I never shoot vids. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Again out of plain curiosity, does switching from stills to vid change out the button assignments?  You can tell I never shoot vids. Smiley Happy

Negative.  Of course, not.  I just tested it on my M3.  When you rotate the mode dial to movie mode, you can capture a still by simply pressing the shutter.  You do not even need to switch it out of movie mode to capture a still photo.  

I would assume the M50 works the same way because the two cameras have the same buttons, which are laid out slightly differently.  The main difference is the M3 has an exposure compensation dial, which the M50 lacks.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Negative.  Of course, not.  I just tested it on my M3.  When you rotate the mode dial to movie mode, you can capture a still by simply pressing the shutter.  You do not even need to switch it out of movie mode to capture a still photo.  

I would assume the M50 works the same way because the two cameras have the same buttons, which are laid out slightly differently.  The main difference is the M3 has an exposure compensation dial, which the M50 lacks.

But the point here, if I'm reading it correctly, is that the OP has reassigned the shutter button to start recording video. So can he reassign some other button to the shutter button's original functionality, so that he can take stills in video mode?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

But the point here, if I'm reading it correctly, is that the OP has reassigned the shutter button to start recording video. So can he reassign some other button to the shutter button's original functionality, so that he can take stills in video mode?

You read it correctly.  Unfortunately, our friend does not understand the camera.  It is readily apparent that he has probably never used a real camera before, not any camera.  Seeing how my M3 is more advanced than the M50, it is unlikely that the M50 has many features that the M3 lacks.  

The M3 allows you to enable or disable allowing the shutter to be used for One Shot AF in movie mode.  The alternative is to use Touch AF on the rear screen, which means all AF points are enabled with AI Servo tracking.  This is how you switch between the two AF modes, [single point AF or multi point AF].

The shutter button does not start or start video recording.  There is another button with a big red dot on it that starts and stops video recording.  On the M50, this button is located just to the right of the shutter and main wheel. 

4FFE4434-A624-47D6-AADD-6DC6D52DF004.png

"So can he reassign some other button to the shutter button's original functionality, so that he can take stills in video mode?"

Why would you reassign the shutter button?   Leave it alone for stills, normal, and assign another button to start/stop video!  Am I missing something here.  I am glad I don't so video. Smiley Frustrated

EB
Announcements