cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No IBIS no order.

Bazsl
Rising Star

Dear Canon,

My position on a full frame mirrorless camera is, no IBIS no order.

A CPS Gold Member

25 REPLIES 25

You are clearly not an old guy that does a lot of low angle shooting like myself. 🙂

@Bazsl wrote:

You are clearly not an old guy that does a lot of low angle shooting like myself. 🙂

I am an old guy, so I take your point!

It's true, though, isn't it, that that case can be handled by a right-angle adapter on the optical viewfinder? But I admit that even that wouldn't cover all possible cases.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I do have a right angle finder but it seems to have a lower eye point than the viewfinder on the camera so it is hard to see the whole frame while wearing glasses. It doesn't help a lot when I am trying to shoot straight up from a low angle, something I can do easily with my M5.

@Bazsl wrote:

It makes sense because I would like to see the Canon system improve as they move into full frame mirrorless. There is no reason I should be satisfied with a mirrorless version of what I have now. After all, I'm not asking Canon to innovate, just catch up with everyone else.

Once upon a time, I think read about how one in-camera IS worked.  It works by "locking" on to as much of the center of the image as it can, and then it will automatically crop and center the image, which will lend the appearance that the image is stabilized. 

In other words, because of the automatic cropping, your images may not always be "full size", just near full size.  Is that type of behavior something that you would want?  I would rather have the IS performed in the lens, so that all of my images will be the same size.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is how Canon's video stabilization works but the size of the image is not affected since they only use part of the sensor for video and thus have lots of room to electronically "move" the image on the sensor. Modern IBIS systems (Sony, Nikon and others) work by moving the sensor in much the same way that a lens element is moved in an in-lens stabilization system. That is the reason that one of the issues cited by the Canon executives the interview I referenced in a prior message is heat disipation. Any time you physically move something using motors you generate heat.

@Bazsl wrote:

That is how Canon's video stabilization works but the size of the image is not affected since they only use part of the sensor for video and thus have lots of room to electronically "move" the image on the sensor. 

Modern IBIS systems (Sony, Nikon and others) work by moving the sensor in much the same way that a lens element is moved in an in-lens stabilization system.

That is the reason that one of the issues cited by the Canon executives the interview I referenced in a prior message is heat disipation. Any time you physically move something using motors you generate heat.

That seems like it would have the potential to have a negative impact on achieving critical focus at very wide apertures.  Any time you move something using motors, you introduce margins for error. 

I am not sure about the 50mm, but the zoom may be for video, it does have video stabilization.

OF course, we are not Canon, so we can only guess.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I am not sure about the 50mm, but the zoom may be for video, it does have video stabilization.

OF course, we are not Canon, so we can only guess.

When used in video mode, the camera body has the same 5-axis, in-camera stabilization as the 6D Mark II, and other bodies.

RexGig
Enthusiast

I have believed that Image Stabilization, inside the lens, is superior to inside-body-image-stabilization, so the lack of IBIS does not bother me. It is the lack of a physical toggle/joystick, to move the AF point, that keeps me from ordering an R. I am not opposed to touch-screens, but in cool/cold weather, my skinny, aging hands need gloves, and because I am left-eye-dominant, my nose is more likely to touch the LCDs of some cameras.

To make this worse, the R has this, well, thing, with limited usefulness, that my thumb might mistake for a toggle/joystick. I reckon I could gaff-tape this, uh, thing, to prevent mistaking it for a toggle/joystick, but better to totally ignore the R, as it would be a step-downward/backward from my 5D IV, 5Ds R, 7D II, and 1Ds III cameras.

With 5600 AF points I think you would find moving the AF point with a joystick intolerably slow. It's not fast on my 5D IV. On my M5 I have moving the AF point set to the lower right quadrant of the screen. The other three quarters of the screen do not respond to touch when your eye is to the EVF. This makes moving the AF point with my thumb fast, easy and intuitive and I have never accidently touched the lower right quadrant of the screen with anything while shooting. Just my experience FWIW.

Announcements