cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No IBIS no order.

Bazsl
Rising Star

Dear Canon,

My position on a full frame mirrorless camera is, no IBIS no order.

A CPS Gold Member

25 REPLIES 25

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Bye - Bye.

Ken Rockwell's position is that Lens IS is best, especially for wide angle lenses.

Yet of the four RF mount lenses Canon has announced two have no IS in the lens? How does that make sense? If Canon is going to build lenes without IS then I need IBIS. If there is a pro level market segment for a camera and lens system without IS I am not part of that segment.

Goes hand in hand with what I said earlier.  Don't buy first gen.  The second gen will likely have IBIS.  Both Canon and Ni(cough)kon will learn from their first release mistakes.  Probably already in the works. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Bazsl wrote:

Yet of the four RF mount lenses Canon has announced two have no IS in the lens? How does that make sense? If Canon is going to build lenes without IS then I need IBIS. If there is a pro level market segment for a camera and lens system without IS I am not part of that segment.

The current EF lenses with similar focal lengths lack IS, too.  How does your complaint make sense?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It makes sense because I would like to see the Canon system improve as they move into full frame mirrorless. There is no reason I should be satisfied with a mirrorless version of what I have now. After all, I'm not asking Canon to innovate, just catch up with everyone else.

Mirrorless cameras are power hogs, and the new cameras, which apparently use the same batteries as their mirror-using counterparts, figure to be chronically short of power. Any form of IS will add to a camera's power consumption. So be careful what you wish for if you don't like to change batteries frequently.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Batteries or no batteries, IS or no IS, I am still not interested. Smiley Indifferent

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I understand the power issue and I agree with what you said Bob. I have an M5 that I use when size and weight are important and I am very happy with it in spite of the more rapid battery depletion. In my case it is not a big issue since I never shoot more than a few hundred frames on a single shoot. I do carry a spare battery but have never had to use it.

The good news is that two Canon executives were quoted in an interview saying that they are considering IBIS for a future camera but they are still analizing the cost, size and heat dissipation issues. At least they did put a fully articulated display on the EOS R. Nearly every time I shoot I curse the lack of that one feature on my 5D Mark IV.

@Bazsl wrote:

I understand the power issue and I agree with what you said Bob. I have an M5 that I use when size and weight are important and I am very happy with it in spite of the more rapid battery depletion. In my case it is not a big issue since I never shoot more than a few hundred frames on a single shoot. I do carry a spare battery but have never had to use it.

The good news is that two Canon executives were quoted in an interview saying that they are considering IBIS for a future camera but they are still analizing the cost, size and heat dissipation issues. At least they did put a fully articulated display on the EOS R. Nearly every time I shoot I curse the lack of that one feature on my 5D Mark IV.

My feeling is that the articulated screen is useful for peering over crowds or for previewing pictures that you're in. (I hesitate to use the term "selfie" in this context, but you get the idea.) Otherwise, I see the extra clutter on the back of the camera as more of a drawback than a benefit.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements