cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night time high school soccer photography

Maisymom
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am a soccer mom taking my sons' soccer photos for years.

My youngest one is a senior now and playing for the last soccer season in high school.  So I decided to rent a lens and take the game photos even after dark.

I have Canon EOS 7D and just rented the lens (EF 70~200mm, f2.8L IS USM II).

I never take any photography classes in the past.  Jsut self taught and shot as many photos as possible in each game.

So, could you please help me what the best setting for the night time soccer photos in the public high school soccer field?

Anything particular should I know about the lens??

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No one is going to able to tell you what specific exposure settings to use, simply because there are too many unknowns.  If you are self-taught, then go with your instincts.  Judging from your lens choice, I'm guessing your instincts are pretty good.  

For action photography, the faster the shutter speed is usually for the best.  But, a faster shutter speed will demand higher ISO settings.   Find the upper limit of what you want for an ISO setting.  You can set your camera to limit what ISO to use when ISO is set to AUTO.  I don't like the 7D2 at 6400, so limit it to 3200.  

Your night shots will have varying light conditions.  I like to use ISO AUTO when lighting can vary widely, shooting in Manual mode.  I would open the aperture to f/2.8 and shoot away.  Hopefully, there will be sufficient light to keep shutter speed high enough to freeze players motion, but I doubt it.  So, pick your shots carefully, being aware that subject motion blur will creep into every shot that you take.

Because subject motion blur will be your nemesis, take steps to reduce camera motion blur by using a monopod, or tripod.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your reply. I know that each field has different lightings...
I will try my best to capture the boys' actions.

The best advice is location and then location.  Where you shoot from is by far the most important part of the equation.

If you are confined to the stands or bleachers, it is going to be nearly impossible to get great shots.  No matter what lens you rent.

The second most important part is to shoot in Raw file format and select the largest size,  This will require a good post editor. A good photo editor is mandatory for great shots. Not an option !

I have shot several soccer games for friends.  The field is a bit larger than a football field.  I used my Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 S lens.  I think your 70-200mm might be a tad short.  However, the f2.8 is working for you and should get you pretty decent shots.  All the ones I did the fields were pretty well lighted.

Tip, shutter speed can vary to stop action depending on which way it is happening.  Coming towards you or away from you is different than sideways.  You might get by with 1/60 in one direction and need 1/500 the other.

Other than that without seeing your exact facility I can't give meaningful camera settings.  Shoot Raw and get a good photo editor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for your reply.

Our soccer field is pretty much average as a public high school.

I mostly shoot from the sideline.  So I can get descent shots when the sun is still up.

I am going to try to take photos after the sun sets tonight.  See how it goes...

Thanks again!

@Maisymom wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

Our soccer field is pretty much average as a public high school.

I mostly shoot from the sideline.  So I can get descent shots when the sun is still up.

I am going to try to take photos after the sun sets tonight.  See how it goes...

Thanks again!

Practice, Practice, Practice.  Attending team practices is a good way to give yourself some practice to figure it out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That is a great idea!!

I will go to the practice to take photos.

Thank you for your advice!

"Attending team practices ..."

Not likely to be at night.  It's pretty easy to shoot sports in broad daylight.  But it can't hurt, practice makes perfect.  Smiley Happy

Knowing the game is a major component to successful results.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes.  It is so much easier to shoot under the day light.  But practicing to shoot the fast moving players is always good excersise for me.

Thank you:)

Announcements