cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to photogrphay

KrnlPanic
Contributor
Good afternoon everybody.
I’m not trying to be a troll, I am just curious if I made the right choice and what my next step should be. I am very eager to begin learning photography. I just bought the Canon EOS 80d and was wondering if this is a suitable camera for a beginner to learn on? If not, I’ve also purchased the G7X Mark II and an s120. perhaps one of those would be better to start out with?
Also, I am looking to get my first add on glass and was thinking about getting the 50mm f1.8 (I think it’s referred to as the “nifty-fifty”?) I am under the impression that this is a great all-around lens for most shooting scenarios.
I am really looking forward to everyone’s advise and input!
19 REPLIES 19

What lens do you have on the 80D?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

KrnlPanic
Contributor
Good morning Robert. I am still shooting with the kit lens that came with it.

@KrnlPanicwrote:
Good morning Robert. I am still shooting with the kit lens that came with it.

Which is?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

KrnlPanic
Contributor
It is the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 stm

ScottyP
Authority

If you want to learn photography, the 80d is the best choice.  You want the ability to have control over as much as possible and the ability to change lenses is also key. 

@KrnlPanicwrote:
Good afternoon everybody.
I’m not trying to be a troll, I am just curious if I made the right choice and what my next step should be. I am very eager to begin learning photography. I just bought the Canon EOS 80d and was wondering if this is a suitable camera for a beginner to learn on? If not, I’ve also purchased the G7X Mark II and an s120. perhaps one of those would be better to start out with?
Also, I am looking to get my first add on glass and was thinking about getting the 50mm f1.8 (I think it’s referred to as the “nifty-fifty”?) I am under the impression that this is a great all-around lens for most shooting scenarios.
I am really looking forward to everyone’s advise and input!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I just bought the Canon EOS 80d and  ... I’ve also purchased the G7X Mark II and an s120. "

You spent a lot of money not knowing what you bought !

"...was wondering if this is a suitable camera for a beginner to learn on?..."

Of course the 80D is the top choice to 'learn' photography.  Even though you could 'learn' photography with either or any of them.

" I am looking to get my first add on glass ..."

Glass?  This is a somewhat advanced term to refer to a new lens.  How beginner are you? Anyway, check out the tutorials that Canon provides for free on Youtube.  They have a complete series.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

" I just bought the Canon EOS 80d and  ... I’ve also purchased the G7X Mark II and an s120. "

"You spent a lot of money not knowing what you bought !"

@ebiggs1wrote:

You spent a lot of money not knowing what you bought !

Of course the 80D is the top choice to 'learn' photography.  Even though you could 'learn' photography with either or any of them.

Glass?  This is a somewhat advanced term to refer to a new lens.  How beginner are you? Anyway, check out the tutorials that Canon provides for free on Youtube.  They have a complete series.

Thank you for the reply!  My purchases were quite spread out and I really didn't know I would be as attracted to photography as I am now until I picked up the 80d.  I quickly started to learn that auto-mode does not accomplish the drama of the shot that I really wanted to capture.

While I was researching lenses it started to get very confusing, some lenses come with the same specs but in a huge range of price, I then noticed that everyone was referring to the glass inside the tube and that was what made the cost difference in lenses.  So it is my understanding that the lens is referred to as the glass (because it really does make a difference) rather than a lens.  I hope I am accurate in that statement.

Thank you for the tip on the Canon Youtube series!  I will definately check those out!

That is because "specs" for lenses are really "characteristics". There are many things that go into whether one lens is better than another. But one thing is sure: sticking with Canon, while not the cheapest, is probably the best path in the long run.

Also, check out Canon's DLC website:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/home/home.shtml

Great website! Thank you!
And thank you for the tip on sticking to Canon lenses. If I've already put this much time and money into taking great shots, I would really not want to compromise the picture with 'bad glass'
Announcements