cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New forum member, new camera owner!

TheCanon
Contributor

Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first post. A couple days ago I purchased a new EOS 70D camera. This is my first "real" camera. I have been doing aerial photography with drones for a few years now. This camera so far is great! All the features, settings, and controls are a bit daunting, but so far I am loving it.

Only after I purchased the camera I saw multiple threads and youtube videos about the center focus issue with the view finder at wide apertures (2.8 and wider). I am wondering if this issue has been resolved in the most recent models? I bought my camera at Costco and they have a high turnover rate of inventory, which means I'm pretty sure my camera was recently manufactured. After about mid 2015 this reported issue seems to fade away. I have no means at the moment of testing my camera for the issue, the two lenses that came with my camera do not have a wide enough aperture and I don't have a tripod yet 🙂 My fear is that someday I'll buy a new lense and I will notice the issue. Anyway.....any info on this still being an issue with current models would be great.

I also am wondering about firmware updates. Typically new electronics require firmware updates out of the box. I registered my product on the Canon website and didn't see any firmware updates available. Are we supposed to get firmware updates from other means? Is it something we do in camera settings while connected to wifi or are updates always located on Canon's website for download?

Ok enought questions for now. Below are the first pictures I took with my 70D camera!

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4475.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the Forum.

According to the Canon website there are no firmware updates for the 70D. The link below will let you download the latest versions of the software.

If your computer doesn't have a DVD  you will need to download and install the Solution Disk first and then update the software. If you have a DVD then install from CD included with camera and then update.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-70d?tab=drivers

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TheCanon
Contributor
Are you talking about drivers? I have a Mac, no drivers required 🙂

Not drivers. No drivers are needed for the camera with either Mac or PC computers. Canon provides software with the camera on a CD.

Digital Photo Professional is used for processing the digital files.

EOS Utility allows you to tether camera to the computer.

Both are probably discussed in the camera manual. 

There are a lot of various opinions on the software products among forum participants, and depending on what you have and use on the Mac you may not need to use them.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Not drivers. No drivers are needed for the camera with either Mac or PC computers. Canon provides software with the camera on a CD.

Digital Photo Professional is used for processing the digital files.

EOS Utility allows you to tether camera to the computer.

Both are probably discussed in the camera manual. 

There are a lot of various opinions on the software products among forum participants, and depending on what you have and use on the Mac you may not need to use them.

Thanks! I'm using Lightroom and Photoshop to process digital files. EOS utility looks like a handy tool, I'll download that. My camera firmware shows 1.1.1, I think thats the latest version. 

"I'm using Lightroom and Photoshop to process digital files. EOS utility looks like a handy tool, I'll download that."

Good for you!  You do not need any additional software.  You have the best there is with these.  Smiley Happy  IMHO, of course!

And, BTW, don't go looking for problems.  If you are not seeing any focus issues, forget it.  Just use your new 'baby' and enjoy it.

Oh and welcome to the forum!  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I'm using Lightroom and Photoshop to process digital files. EOS utility looks like a handy tool, I'll download that."

Good for you!  You do not need any additional software.  You have the best there is with these.  Smiley Happy  IMHO, of course!

And, BTW, don't go looking for problems.  If you are not seeing any focus issues, forget it.  Just use your new 'baby' and enjoy it.

Oh and welcome to the forum!  Smiley Wink

Thanks! This camera is a riot! I was having fun yesterday with high speed shots as my son was running around. I have to practice more with the auto focus and selecting the correct focus points. It was a challenge keeping the subject (my son) in the focus points I selected. 

"I have to practice more with the auto focus and selecting the correct focus points."

Just a thought but I almost always use just the center focus point. I turn off all the others and my camera has 45 with 39 cross type focus points!  IME, this is the mode that works best most of the time.  If you use all the focus points the camera will select the closest object to the camera and use that point to focus.  The problem is, that may not be the thing you want.

BTW. although RAW format gives you the best possible results, usually, if you are just shooting funsy stuff or to email to grandma or to post on FB, jpg is just fine.  If you are doing special 'keepers' or nice prints or a job, switch to RAW and post process in LR.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I have to practice more with the auto focus and selecting the correct focus points."

Just a thought but I almost always use just the center focus point. I turn off all the others and my camera has 45 with 39 cross type focus points!  IME, this is the mode that works best most of the time.  If you use all the focus points the camera will select the closest object to the camera and use that point to focus.  The problem is, that may not be the thing you want.

BTW. although RAW format gives you the best possible results, usually, if you are just shooting funsy stuff or to email to grandma or to post on FB, jpg is just fine.  If you are doing special 'keepers' or nice prints or a job, switch to RAW and post process in LR.

Thanks for the tip. I see a lot of people using the center focus points and then recomposing to get more of the background in the shot. I've tried this method and also tried using one of the off center focus points without having to recompose and the results were nearly identicle.

I shoot a lot of photos of my black dog with my 70D. I use the center point focus for inside photos but outside I use AI Servo, Zone Focus (center cluster of 9 points selected), high SS and burst mode, have been very pleased with them.

My Gear: 70D, 24-70mm f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 430 EX III RT Speedlight
Announcements