Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: New forum member, new camera owner!

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I also am wondering about firmware updates. Typically new electronics require firmware updates out of the box. I registered my product on the Canon website and didn't see any firmware updates available. Are we supposed to get firmware updates from other means? Is it something we do in camera settings while connected to wifi or are updates always located on Canon's website for download?" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats, on the purchase!  If you're having fun, then you're doing it right.  I advise that you shoot RAW.

The camera will not automatically perform firmware updates, if that is what you're asking.  If you scroll through the camera menus, you will come across a page that will tell you what firmware version is in the camera. 

The camera firmware version is stored in the metadata of image files.  The metadata can be read in a few different ways.  You can read it best with the DPP software that comes with the camera.  Be sure to download digital copies of the software, just  in case you lose track of the supplied CD.

CD's?? What?? Smiley Tongue I was surprised to see such old technology included with my camera. I found the firmware version in the menu and I'm on 1.1.1, which is the latest version that was released a couple years ago.

VIP

[ Edited ]

"I have to practice more with the auto focus and selecting the correct focus points."

Just a thought but I almost always use just the center focus point. I turn off all the others and my camera has 45 with 39 cross type focus points!  IME, this is the mode that works best most of the time.  If you use all the focus points the camera will select the closest object to the camera and use that point to focus.  The problem is, that may not be the thing you want.

BTW. although RAW format gives you the best possible results, usually, if you are just shooting funsy stuff or to email to grandma or to post on FB, jpg is just fine.  If you are doing special 'keepers' or nice prints or a job, switch to RAW and post process in LR.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I have to practice more with the auto focus and selecting the correct focus points."

Just a thought but I almost always use just the center focus point. I turn off all the others and my camera has 45 with 39 cross type focus points!  IME, this is the mode that works best most of the time.  If you use all the focus points the camera will select the closest object to the camera and use that point to focus.  The problem is, that may not be the thing you want.

BTW. although RAW format gives you the best possible results, usually, if you are just shooting funsy stuff or to email to grandma or to post on FB, jpg is just fine.  If you are doing special 'keepers' or nice prints or a job, switch to RAW and post process in LR.

Thanks for the tip. I see a lot of people using the center focus points and then recomposing to get more of the background in the shot. I've tried this method and also tried using one of the off center focus points without having to recompose and the results were nearly identicle.

Occasional Contributor

I shoot a lot of photos of my black dog with my 70D. I use the center point focus for inside photos but outside I use AI Servo, Zone Focus (center cluster of 9 points selected), high SS and burst mode, have been very pleased with them.

My Gear: 70D, 24-70mm f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 430 EX III RT Speedlight