cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New forum member, new camera owner!

TheCanon
Contributor

Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first post. A couple days ago I purchased a new EOS 70D camera. This is my first "real" camera. I have been doing aerial photography with drones for a few years now. This camera so far is great! All the features, settings, and controls are a bit daunting, but so far I am loving it.

Only after I purchased the camera I saw multiple threads and youtube videos about the center focus issue with the view finder at wide apertures (2.8 and wider). I am wondering if this issue has been resolved in the most recent models? I bought my camera at Costco and they have a high turnover rate of inventory, which means I'm pretty sure my camera was recently manufactured. After about mid 2015 this reported issue seems to fade away. I have no means at the moment of testing my camera for the issue, the two lenses that came with my camera do not have a wide enough aperture and I don't have a tripod yet 🙂 My fear is that someday I'll buy a new lense and I will notice the issue. Anyway.....any info on this still being an issue with current models would be great.

I also am wondering about firmware updates. Typically new electronics require firmware updates out of the box. I registered my product on the Canon website and didn't see any firmware updates available. Are we supposed to get firmware updates from other means? Is it something we do in camera settings while connected to wifi or are updates always located on Canon's website for download?

Ok enought questions for now. Below are the first pictures I took with my 70D camera!

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4475.JPG

13 REPLIES 13

PhotoInParadise
Contributor

I purchased a Canon 70D about a month ago and have used it with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens.  I too have seen all those focus issue posts on various forums.  I have no focus issues with my camera and have been very pleased with it.

My Gear: 70D, 24-70mm f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 430 EX III RT Speedlight

@PhotoInParadise wrote:

I purchased a Canon 70D about a month ago and have used it with a 70-200 f/2.8 lens.  I too have seen all those focus issue posts on various forums.  I have no focus issues with my camera and have been very pleased with it.

That's great to hear! I think for the most part the issues have been resolved. Glad you're enjoying the camera. 

"I also am wondering about firmware updates. Typically new electronics require firmware updates out of the box. I registered my product on the Canon website and didn't see any firmware updates available. Are we supposed to get firmware updates from other means? Is it something we do in camera settings while connected to wifi or are updates always located on Canon's website for download?" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats, on the purchase!  If you're having fun, then you're doing it right.  I advise that you shoot RAW.

The camera will not automatically perform firmware updates, if that is what you're asking.  If you scroll through the camera menus, you will come across a page that will tell you what firmware version is in the camera. 

The camera firmware version is stored in the metadata of image files.  The metadata can be read in a few different ways.  You can read it best with the DPP software that comes with the camera.  Be sure to download digital copies of the software, just  in case you lose track of the supplied CD.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"I also am wondering about firmware updates. Typically new electronics require firmware updates out of the box. I registered my product on the Canon website and didn't see any firmware updates available. Are we supposed to get firmware updates from other means? Is it something we do in camera settings while connected to wifi or are updates always located on Canon's website for download?" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congrats, on the purchase!  If you're having fun, then you're doing it right.  I advise that you shoot RAW.

The camera will not automatically perform firmware updates, if that is what you're asking.  If you scroll through the camera menus, you will come across a page that will tell you what firmware version is in the camera. 

The camera firmware version is stored in the metadata of image files.  The metadata can be read in a few different ways.  You can read it best with the DPP software that comes with the camera.  Be sure to download digital copies of the software, just  in case you lose track of the supplied CD.

CD's?? What?? Smiley Tongue I was surprised to see such old technology included with my camera. I found the firmware version in the menu and I'm on 1.1.1, which is the latest version that was released a couple years ago.

Announcements