cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mark III - Need recommendations

chuck27p
Contributor

Hey everyone,

I have a new 5D Mark III on the way and this is my first full frame sensor camera. I shot with a 50D for many years. I have 4 lenses and only 1 is an EF-S, so I'll be getting rid of that. The others are EF, so they should be good for the 5D as far as I've read. 

I'm looking for a few recommendations here.

1. What compact flash card should I use? I am currently looking at these:

- SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash Memory Card UDMA 7 Upto 160 MB/s by SanDisk

- Lexar Professional 1000x 128GB CompactFlash Card LCF128CTBNA1000 by LEXAR

- KOMPUTERBAY 128GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 1000X 150MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 7 RAW 128 GB by Komputerbay

2. The EF-S lens I have is my 10-22mm wide angle. I use it quite a bit. I'll be looking for a replacement. Any suggestions? I was looking at this one:

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

3. Any other lens recommendations? What I have is below and I mainly shoot portraits / headshots in the studio, landscapes, and do a bit of long exposure work. I know it's based on what you shoot, but if anyone has any lens they use all the time that they love on the full frame, I'd love to do some research on it. 

My lenses:

Canon 50mm prime

Sigma 70-200mm Zoom

Canon 24-70 2.8 (my workhorse)

- Need to replace my wide angle

Thanks guys! 

22 REPLIES 22

Let me turn this around on you.  You're making a claim that the Komputerbay card is just as good, that we have no evidence otherwise, and that the well-known brands with solid reputations are engaging in scare tactics.  

What evidence do you have of that claim?  What do you really know about how Komputerbay manufactures and tests their chips?

I do not know what Lexar and SanDisk actually do -- nor can I contrast that against what Komputerbay does.  But what I do know is that we get a lot of people who compalin of memory card failure and a substantial percentage of the time it's due to a bad card... and typically a lesser brand.  Those who buy good cards don't seem to have nearly so many problems.  

Given that the cost of memory cards is pretty cheap EVEN when it's a top-name card, how much sense does it really make to take a risk in exchange for saving a few pennies per gigabyte?

I consider that if someone buys a DSLR camera, they expect a better experience and a higher quality product -- after all a person could have purcahsed a point & shoot or just use the phone built into the camera if saving money is the primary motivation for product choice.  

When someone comes to this forum and they ask for advice based on the best practices of experienced users and experienced users tell them that one of their best practices is to use quality component with a proven track record, the person is getting the advice that they asked to receieve.  

You can argue that it's bad advice, but you'd being arguing against a lot of well-established photographers -- this is hardly the only online photography website that would have given a similar answer.  Most serious photographers (not just pros... passionate amateurs fall into the same category) give similar advice when I've seen questions such as this one arise elsewhere.

The process of "writing" to flash memory is a physically destructive process.  A "read" is non-destructive, but you get a limited number of "writes" before the memory location fails. It's sort of like the tires on your car.  After a few trips around the block on brand new tires, you can hardly notice any wear has occurred at all... but technically we know that some wear has occurred and after enough mileage those tires will need to be replaced.  Flash memory works the same way and, like tires, some are actually better than others.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I went with a couple SanDisk cards. B&H has them on sale right now, $30 cheaper than Amazon. For under $100 for a quality brand, you can't go wrong: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1000362-REG/sandisk_sdcfxps_032g_a46_32gb_extreme_pro_compact....

As for all the lens recommendations, I appreciate it. There are some great suggestions in there and a couple I'm going to rent and try out. 

Thanks everyone!

@ TCambell, I'm going to stop reading before you carry on. I never once stated that Komputerbay cards were as reliable as branded cards. I am saying, on the record, that I don't know the risk. I have never seen a credible study of failure rates and I think perceived risk is not the same as actual risk.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements