cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New M50 owner- memory disappeared! Help?

bigbrother
Enthusiast

Hey all! Just got my new M50 and everything was great today. The only thing is, I did some very light playing around, trying out the different modes, very minimal setting adjustment (things like preview timer), etc., and somehow my memory/shots available has seemingly permanently dropped by ~15%. I have no idea how or what I might have done.

(I'm using a 64 GB SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I card.)

When I started, I had ~6800 shots available at the default image setting, which as far as I can tell is Large, no RAW, 6000x3000 or whatever the res is.

I took a few different shots and 1 short movie, maybe 100 items in total, and when I looked again (after deleting the movie) I had 5800 available. I looked through all the settings and couldn't tell what I might have changed. I then tried everything- deleting all the shots, resetting the camera's settings, deep formatting the mem card, and no matter what I did, I still had 5800 shots.

How on Earth did I lose the capacity for 1000 shots?

The memory available on the card is the same as when I started- 854kB of 59.something GB.

I'm guessing it's something I set but I have no clue at this point.

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

@kvbarkley wrote:

Guys, do the experiment yourself. Watch the image count as you change the ISO, it clearly adjusts in an inverse relationship.

I cannot.  My camera count stops at 1999, and that is what I am showing with a 64GB card.  

Yes, raising the ISO creates larger files, due in large part to the additional noise.  Like I said before.  Believing that setting the ISO to Auto did not actually fix the problem, is very misleading because ISO could go either up or down.  

The actual fix was lowering ISO, which could have been done manually.  Like I said, it was a happy accident. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements