cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New M-5

Does the new M-5 advance the mirrorless ball (other than in the obvious way of finally providing a built-in eye-level viewfinder)?

The specs are rather vague regarding the camera's aotofocus system. One can read them as implying that there is no manual selection of AF points.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
40 REPLIES 40

"My sons upload stuff to their smartphones, ..."

Exactly!  I rest my case.  And, my friend, we'll see.  Smiley Frustrated  The first two attempts at this were total bombs. The P&S market is almost nonexistent.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"My sons upload stuff to their smartphones, ..."

Exactly!  I rest my case.  And, my friend, we'll see.  Smiley Frustrated  The first two attempts at this were total bombs. The P&S market is almost nonexistent.

Why re-invent the wheel?  All that's needed is to integrate the camera with the smartphone.  Use the camera to capture images, which are immeditately transmitted wirelessly to the phone. 

In fact, a better idea would be to let the smartphone have near total control over the camera's picture taking process .Smiley Surprised

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

@"ebiggs1 wrote:

"Until cameras like the M5 work just like a cell phone they will never be popular."

I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make; in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I don't think I'd agree with it if I did."

Let's see you don't get the point but you don't agree with it?  OK!  Maybe one of the problems with this forum, ya think?

Kids today and young adults and even some older people are used to using a cell phone with all the social connections it brings. Until a camera like the M5 or any other P&S operates like a cell phone it will never be popular.  It has to have connectivity and touch screens that type stuff.

The first thing that happens when I hand my camera to somebody is they look at the back of the LDC to see the picture.  I have to tell then, "No you need to look through the view finder!"  This is foreign to them and odd.  Then try to explain they can't put the picture they just took on their FB page.  No, again I say, you have to go home get your computer fired up. Take this silly little SD card out of the camera and u/l it to the computer. Then you can u/l it to FB.

Don't try and say well the M5 has wi-fi because it is a joke compared to a cell phone.  So is it's bluethooth.  Yeah, it 'finally' has a form of touch screen so maybe there is hope.

The camera companies haven't seemed to learn this so I am not surprised any of you don't realize it either.

Technical savvy users (Millennials), will know how to use the WiFi and Bluetooth of the M5 to immediately upload their photos to Facebook and other social media. 

Canon Camera Connect

My sons upload stuff to their smartphones, and from there they're good to go from there.

Just to clarify you are saying your sons upload from their digital cameras to their smartphones, and then send the photos where they want from there.

"Just to clarify you are saying your sons upload from their digital cameras to their smartphones, and then send the photos where they want from there."

Yeah, that's it.  It came out a little garbled when I wrote it. 

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Just to clarify you are saying your sons upload from their digital cameras to their smartphones, and then send the photos where they want from there."

Yeah, that's it.  It came out a little garbled when I wrote it. 

One of my sons downloads images from his 7D2 to his Mac by using a card reader.  Once in his Mac, he can generate JPEGs, and do all the usual stuff.  After editing, he uploads to his iCloud, and then uses his iPhone to forward images to social media.  He likes this approach because it doesn't consume memory in his phone.  Images are stored in iCloud.

"It came out a little garbled..."

Its not the only "garbled" thing you said.  You missed as Canon does, the point completely!  The fact your son goes through all that BS is the point. A person with a cell phone shoots and post to FB, or whatever.   Period, done with that.  No waiting to go home.  No computer. No SD card. No card reader. No converting. No mess, period.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Its not the only "garbled" thing you said.  You missed as Canon does, the point completely!  The fact your son goes through all that BS is the point. A person with a cell phone shoots and post to FB, or whatever.   Period, done with that.  No waiting to go home.  No computer. No SD card. No card reader. No converting. No mess, period.

You can do that with a WiFi/Bluetooth Canon camera too. Take the photo and have it automatically post to FB or whatever, No waiting to go home. No computer. No SD card. No card reader. No converting. No mess, period. . You do need to have a certain amount of technical understanding to do it. For kids who grew up with technology it is not a big deal. For older people getting it to work can be a chore.

WOW, I missed that one!  What Canon camera doesn't use a SD card?  Thanx for the heads up.  I am glad they finally got rid of the need for a card reader.  Which model?

EB

How to upload images to the web directly from your Wi-Fi camera - Canon

In this tutorial we show you how to set up a Canon camera with Wi-Fi connectivity to share or back up directly to a web service. Services include Email, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, Google Drive and Canon irista

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read my lips.   "Wi-Fi." 

No computer.  No card reader.  No converting.  No mess, period.  You only need that stuff if your camera has no Wi-Fi, like the 7D2 example I cited.  The EOS M3 has Wi-Fi, and so should the M5. 

Why re-invent the wheel?  Why inflate the cost of the camera by including all of the smartphone electronics, which is totally unnecessary?  Give the cameras Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and that's it.  They don't need 3G, 4G, or any Gs.  Including that in a camera is another bill to pay a phone carrier.  Nobody would buy your camera.  They would buy the one that connects to their phone for FREE, at no additional cost.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements