cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New M-5

Does the new M-5 advance the mirrorless ball (other than in the obvious way of finally providing a built-in eye-level viewfinder)?

The specs are rather vague regarding the camera's aotofocus system. One can read them as implying that there is no manual selection of AF points.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
40 REPLIES 40

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I read it's based a lot on 80D.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@RobertTheFat wrote:

The specs are rather vague regarding the camera's aotofocus system. One can read them as implying that there is no manual selection of AF points.

Autofocus 49 AF points

• Contrast Detect (sensor)
  • Phase Detect
  • Multi-area
  • Center
  • Selective single-point
  • Tracking
  • Single
  • Continuous
  • Touch
  • Face Detection
  • Live View

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Autofocus 49 AF points

• Contrast Detect (sensor)
  • Phase Detect
  • Multi-area
  • Center
  • Selective single-point
  • Tracking
  • Single
  • Continuous
  • Touch
  • Face Detection
  • Live View

You're probably right.  In Creative Modes, I haven't selected an AF point in my M3.  It seemed to have defaulted to the center AF point, One Shot Mode, in the Creative modes, which is just what I wanted.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Does the new M-5 advance the mirrorless ball (other than in the obvious way of finally providing a built-in eye-level viewfinder)?

The Dual-pixel AF sensor is a game changer for mirrorless cameras. My only question is why it took Canon so long to put it in their mirrorless camera. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RobertTheFat wrote:

If it is anything like the M3, then it is confusing.  I still haven't quite figured it out, mainly because I haven't spent the time.  That, and I mainly use manual focus lenses with it, like a Rokinon 14mm, which saves battery life.  

If I remember correctly, out of the box, the M3 defaulted to the center AF point, as if you had manually selected it when you are in creative modes.  It is supposed to have something like 45 AF points, but I have never seen all of them.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Until cameras like the M5 work just like a cell phone they will never be popular.  The M5 is getting close.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Until cameras like the M5 work just like a cell phone they will never be popular.  The M5 is getting close.

A cell phone?  These cameras are starting to rival DSLR performance..Their compact size make them ideal for travel.  They take much better pictures than a cell phone.  Remember that castle I posted several months ago?  M3 and EF 40mm pancake.

Glen Island Castle

One of my sons is an executive chef.  The M3, combined with the EF lens adapter and a quality lens, can turn out some excellent macro photos of his finsished plates of food.  The camera's tilting LCD screen, and lighter weight and size, make it GREAT for taking shots in tight places.

It uses a 24 MP APS-C sensor and a DIGIC 6 processor, which is the same stuff found in the 80D and T6s. The M5 seems like it could be an ever better camera than the M3, with the integrated viewfinder.  I got a lucky deal on the viewfinder when I purchased my M3. 

"Until cameras like the M5 work just like a cell phone they will never be popular."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Until cameras like the M5 work just like a cell phone they will never be popular."

I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make; in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. But I don't think I'd agree with it if I did.

Whether one likes it or not, mirrorless cameras are almost certainly the wave of the future. Here's a prediction: Fifteen years from now, a third of the cohort of serious photographers who now use a DSLR exclusively will have never seen one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements