Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: New EOS RP Firmware update program triggered randomly, bricks camera

Tried low-level formatting an SD card and inserted into the camera, still unable to use.

I could probably get the camera working again by re-installing the firmware for a third time but given the erratic behavior of the camera and the feedback from the forum, I think that the best thing to do  is to take the camera back to B and H and try to get it exchanged.

Thanks for the feedback!

Respected Contributor

The camera clearly has an issue and you could format the SD card as many different ways as you like while whispering magical incantations and that particular camera still isn't going to work correctly. You are correct in your first post that this camera has a defect and B&H will exchange it for you.  They have excellent service both in store and online.

There is a problem with your specific camera suffering firmware corruption.  It isn't like a PC that will try to update itself as soon as it is connected to the internet, Canon didn't ship it with the camera needing an update before it would even function and that attempt to immediately update upon power up indicates a hardware issue causing corruption of the firmware. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
VIP

"...you could format the SD card as many different ways as you like while whispering magical incantations...."

Whoa now! Smiley Surprised

I never tried that but it sounds like it just might work!  Do you have any good "magical incantations" to try?  I like Harry Potter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Respected Contributor

Ernie,

Unfortunately those magical incantations don't work for us mere mortals but I am pretty sure Harry interned in lens development with Canon because some of their glass does seem to be magical Smiley Happy

I am also a Potter fan.  My daughter was born when this series was being written and I read the first two books of the series to her when she was quite young and she started reading the others by herself when she was in the first grade.  It is books like ththese which capture and inspire kids with the fun and magic of reading which will serve them well throughout their lives.

Rodger

VIP

Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Occasional Contributor

Solution to my issue: hopped on a NJ Transit train to NY Penn Station with my daughter, walked ~ 2 blocks to B and H, went to the dedicated customer service center, told them what was wrong, got a new unit (magically appeared on a conveyor belt) within 10 minutes no questions asked, fired it up then and there, worked fine...problem solved...walked to Rockefeller Center with my daughter to check out the Sacks 5th Ave. windows and do the NYC Xmas tree thing...

For future reference, I guess that anything like this issue is indicative of hardware failure...

Thanks to all for the input!

-Jim

VIP

[ Edited ]

@behnkejh wrote:

Solution to my issue: hopped on a NJ Transit train to NY Penn Station with my daughter, walked ~ 2 blocks to B and H, went to the dedicated customer service center, told them what was wrong, got a new unit (magically appeared on a conveyor belt) within 10 minutes no questions asked, fired it up then and there, worked fine...problem solved...

For future reference, I guess that anything like this issue is indicative of hardware failure...

Thanks to all for the input!

-Jim

The conveyer belt system at B&H is an amazing [sight].  It reminds me of Sants's Workshop at the North Pole.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Respected Contributor

Glad it worked out for you Jim and B&H is a class act.  I wish I could find a Cadillac dealer with their level of customer service Smiley Happy

Enjoy your newest EOS RP Smiley Happy

Rodger