cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon LP-E6N turns light in charger green but won't power camera

bab01824
Apprentice

I have a relatively new (January 2020, date code 201903) LP-E6N. It worked fine for a couple of charge cycles but now when I place it into the Canon LC-E6 charger the orange light blinks slowly for about 7-10 seconds, then rapidly for a second or two, then the light turns green. On my other batteries this means the battery is fully charged, but this battery will not power either my 6D or 6DM2. I had this happen to another Canon battery about a year ago. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Berger

6D, 6DMK2

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It sounds like either the battery or the charger is bad, or even both.  Only buy your batteries from Canon authorized dealers.  I never ever, ever, ever, buy batteries on Amazon or eBay.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Peter
Authority
Authority

@bab01824 wrote:

I have a relatively new (January 2020, date code 201903) LP-E6N. It worked fine for a couple of charge cycles but now when I place it into the Canon LC-E6 charger the orange light blinks slowly for about 7-10 seconds, then rapidly for a second or two, then the light turns green. On my other batteries this means the battery is fully charged, but this battery will not power either my 6D or 6DM2. I had this happen to another Canon battery about a year ago. Can anyone tell me why?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Berger

6D, 6DMK2

Has the battery been completely drained and been laying drained for some time?

From your description, the most likely problem is a failed battery and specifically one of the individual cells that make up the battery has lost its ability to source sufficient current under load.  When charging, the cell voltage quickly comes up to normal fooling the charger into thinking the battery is fully charged but when the camera tries to draw significant current the cell shows its issue as voltage drops.

Having this same thing happen to two batteries is unusual.  Were these both authentic Canon batteries (Canon brand purchased from a known dealer that doesn't sell counterfeit items)?  If so, the charger is suspect in damaging the batteries by repeatedly shutting off the charge long before the cells are fully charged which allows some equalizing to take place.  It is also NOT good to run the batteries down to a dead condition in the camera as this increases the potential of damage to an individual cell.  Li-ion batteries are not prone to the polarity reversal that plagued weak cells in a Nicad pack but they still don't do well when repeatedly heavily discharged to a very low level.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a relatively new (January 2020, date code 201903) LP-E6N."

I don't remember the warranty on Canon batteries but its worth a try to see if you can get it replaced.  Also, where you bought it may help you.  Never buy from Amazon.  Amazon itself is OK, they are a authorized Canon retailer.   Some come from an Amazon market place seller and who knows where they get them?   You have to be careful where the battery comes from.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements