cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon EOS RP

John_SD
Whiz

According to CanonRumors and other sites, such as SonyAlphaRumors, Canon is going to be making a major announcement around 2/14 regarding a new full frame mirrorless camera -- the Canon EOS RP. 

According to SonyAlphaRumors:

"On February 14 [Removed 3rd Party Link per Forum Guidelines] a new $1599 entry level Canon EOS-RP Full Frame mirrorless. Sony seems to have learned about that and tomorrow they will launch the first ever discount on the Sony A7III. The camera will get a $200 price drop as you can see from the [Removed 3rd Party Link] image shared on top."

So we shall see. But if true, I am glad that Canon is  becoming ultra competitive in full frame mirrorless. Let the price-slashing begin!

17 REPLIES 17

John_SD
Whiz

Canon Rumors says it has confirmed that the EOS RP will be released at a cost of $1299 and come in 3 different kits:

• Canon EOS RP body w/EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1299
  • Canon EOS RP w/EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1699
  • Canon EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $2199

That is a lot of entry-level mirrorless camera for the price points. If true, I believe that Canon should have a runaway hit on its hands. I will be keeping a sharp eye on B&H and as soon as pre-orders are opened up, I intend to jump all over it. 

See CanonRumors and others for specs.

@John_SD wrote:

Canon Rumors says it has confirmed that the EOS RP will be released at a cost of $1299 and come in 3 different kits:

• Canon EOS RP body w/EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1299
  • Canon EOS RP w/EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $1699
  • Canon EOS RP w/RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EG-E1 Extension Grip & Canon Mount Adapter $2199

That is a lot of entry-level mirrorless camera for the price points. If true, I believe that Canon should have a runaway hit on its hands. I will be keeping a sharp eye on B&H and as soon as pre-orders are opened up, I intend to jump all over it. 

See CanonRumors and others for specs.

All kits have an extension grip. Translation: It's going to be a battery hog.

What do we actually know about the RF 24-105 f/4L? Does it render the omission from the kits of the EF 24-105 f/4L irrelevant?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

One interesting feature that KR points out is that you can get a real DOF preview, since the finder brightens when you activate it.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Ken Rockwell has a hands on of the RP and the 24-105:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/rp.htm

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/24-105mm.htm

I am going through Rockwell's review now, as I intend on placing my pre-order with B&H right after I get my wife's permission, hopefully later today. Having read numerous reviews already, I can tell you that the things I won't like, I can live with. First and formost, the projected battery life is beyond horrendous at an estimated 250 shots per charge. My workaround will be to just carry some spares and use ECO and select a lower frame-rate EVF mode to extend battery life a bit. Still, the numbers suck, even when using the LCD. 

The other thing I might not like is the eyepiece cup itself, as it appears quite shallow. Another reviewer said he also noticed that at first due to some light bleed, then completely adapted to it in about 10 minutes. So we shall see. 

Speaking of Rockwell, I see that he was using the native RF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens. The photos look great. 

As for video specs, I couldn't care less. 

On a side note, I see that this release, which should set all kinds of sales records, is putting the S*ny fanboys, Canon haters, and spec-sheet warriors on the verge of a nervous breakdown. They are completely beside themselves, declaring the EOS RP a dismal failure and whining about the lack of C-Log and whatnot. Their temper tantrums are nearly worth the cost of the camera itself. Good job, Canon! 🙂

@John_SD wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Ken Rockwell has a hands on of the RP and the 24-105:

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/rp.htm

https://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/lenses/24-105mm.htm

I am going through Rockwell's review now, as I intend on placing my pre-order with B&H right after I get my wife's permission, hopefully later today. Having read numerous reviews already,

I can tell you that the things I won't like, I can live with.

First and formost, the projected battery life is beyond horrendous at an estimated 250 shots per charge. My workaround will be to just carry some spares and use ECO and select a lower frame-rate EVF mode to extend battery life a bit. Still, the numbers suck, even when using the LCD. 

Good job, Canon! 🙂

Do not compromise on what you want in your gear.  In my experience, if you have doubts, then do not buy it.  You will only wind up buying something else, which will most likely have some sort of compromise, too.

Now, instead of having what you really wanted, you have spent even more money on stuff that wasn’t quite what you wanted.

[EDIT] I do not know the reasons behind the drop in frame rate in AI Servo tracking mode, but it is a complete non-starter for me.  This camera is made for the hobbyist, who is far from being a true enthusiast, shooting 1000 photos per week.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Do not compromise on what you want in your gear.  In my experience, if you have doubts, then do not buy it.  You will only wind up buying something else, which will most likely have some sort of compromise, too.

Now, instead of having what you really wanted, you have spent even more money on stuff that wasn’t quite what you wanted.

[EDIT] I do not know the reasons behind the drop in frame rate in AI Servo tracking mode, but it is a complete non-starter for me.  This camera is made for the hobbyist, who is far from being a true enthusiast, shooting 1000 photos per week.

You make some great points, which I really hadn't considered in my desire to jump into full frame mirrorless. To be honest, the battery issue is starting to give me pause. It's one thing to carry around a spare or two, but to have to stop what you're doing every few hours to swap out batteries, and do that every time you shoot, is going to get old fast.One reviewer had to swap out the battery after 50 minutes. 

Also, the issue you pointed out regarding the drop in frame rate in AI Servo tracking mode is something that I missed in the reviews. That would be a huge minus for me as someone who basically is an outdoor photographer. 

This camera will no doubt be a major hit, should put some serious pricing pressure on Sony and Nikon, and will redefine what an "entry level" full frame mirrorless camera should cost. But I agree, the trade-offs to achieve this low price are so steep as to make this more of a hobbyist camera than an enthusiast rig. Pity, as my wife gave me her grudging approval to purchase it LOL. Thanks for your clear-eyed assessment. 

"Do not compromise on what you want in your gear. ... if you have doubts, then do not buy it.  You will only wind up buying something else, ... Now, instead of having what you really wanted, you have spent even more money on stuff that wasn’t quite what you wanted."

I must say, it hurts but, I almost totally agree with this. I would replace the word "wanted" with "needed". I have seen it way too often. Most times people buy too quickly.  It is human nature I suppose because you are so excited to get new gear. But you really need to go slow. I guarantee it will be cheaper in the long run.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements