cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canon EOS RP

John_SD
Whiz

According to CanonRumors and other sites, such as SonyAlphaRumors, Canon is going to be making a major announcement around 2/14 regarding a new full frame mirrorless camera -- the Canon EOS RP. 

According to SonyAlphaRumors:

"On February 14 [Removed 3rd Party Link per Forum Guidelines] a new $1599 entry level Canon EOS-RP Full Frame mirrorless. Sony seems to have learned about that and tomorrow they will launch the first ever discount on the Sony A7III. The camera will get a $200 price drop as you can see from the [Removed 3rd Party Link] image shared on top."

So we shall see. But if true, I am glad that Canon is  becoming ultra competitive in full frame mirrorless. Let the price-slashing begin!

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If they introduced a full frame mirrorless with a frame rate that was at least comparable to a 6D2, and without a control bar, they would have a hit.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If they introduced a full frame mirrorless with a frame rate that was at least comparable to a 6D2, and without a control bar, they would have a hit.

I agree. I would jump all over that. And I think a lot of other guys would too who have been sitting on the full-frame mirrorless sidelines, as it were. 

Not interested.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I will be interested when it provides clear benefits for what I do without critical drawbacks.  

When a mirrorless FF arrives that has equivalent or near equivalent battery life to my current 1DX series bodies, an equally responsive viewfinder, and equivalent or better frame rate then I will be interested but in order to dump my current crop of L series EF lenses it will have to provide significantly better low light sensor performance than what I have in my current 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies.

And when it reaches the point of dumping my current lenses it will be time to make sure that I am confident that the Canon family is where I would want to spend my photography expenditures and time.  I have shot primarily Canon gear for close to 30 years but once it is time to dump a lot of existing glass I would at least want to look at the total package of benefits from competitors.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

I will be interested when it provides clear benefits for what I do without critical drawbacks.  

When a mirrorless FF arrives that has equivalent or near equivalent battery life to my current 1DX series bodies, an equally responsive viewfinder, and equivalent or better frame rate then I will be interested but in order to dump my current crop of L series EF lenses it will have to provide significantly better low light sensor performance than what I have in my current 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies.

And when it reaches the point of dumping my current lenses it will be time to make sure that I am confident that the Canon family is where I would want to spend my photography expenditures and time.  I have shot primarily Canon gear for close to 30 years but once it is time to dump a lot of existing glass I would at least want to look at the total package of benefits from competitors.

Rodger

Well, the thread isn't really about the mirrorless full-frame market as it stands today. It was about the EOS RP proposed release. You and Ernie don't seem to understand the market segment that the EOS RP is aimed at. 

"You and Ernie don't seem to understand the market segment that the EOS RP is aimed at."

Well I do a little and it looks like Rodger does also. It ain't us!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OK, the specs have officially leaked. This is going to be an interesting release. Some will love it, others will hate it. The body has been downsized, the dopey multifunction bar is gone, but the top LCD screen is gone, too, which is too bad. But if the prices hold up, I'll be getting one. See more at TheVerge, TechRadar, Engadget, etc. 

According to TheVerge:

Noki**bleep**a says the RP will feature a 26.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor (borrowed from the 6D Mark II, I’d guess) with Canon’s signature dual-pixel autofocus system and the Digic 8 image processor. Continuous shooting will top out at 5 fps, and the native ISO range is reported to be 100-40,000, which is the same as on the EOS R.

The EOS RP is rumored to cost either $1,499 or $1,599, according to CanonRumors, so this is very much meant to be the mainstream, entry-level product in Canon’s new mirrorless line. Canon will also use the camera’s introduction — pegged for February 14th — to expand its lineup of RF-mount lenses with at least five new options.

• Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM
  • Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • Canon RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM
  • Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Combined with the launch lenses, that’s a much bigger native lens selection than what Nikon is currently offering for its Z6 and Z7. The EOS R will remain the more capable of these two cameras in terms of specs and performance — which is no surprise due to its higher price point — but making it cheaper to get started with Canon’s all-new camera system is a wise move. Hopefully, the RP won’t have too many obvious downsides meant to push people toward the pricier R. 

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"You and Ernie don't seem to understand the market segment that the EOS RP is aimed at."

It ain't me either. But it shows that Canon is determined to stay in the game. And that's important to all of us.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It ain't me either. But it shows that Canon is determined to stay in the game. And that's important to all of us.

Well said, Robert. Aside from making great cameras and superior lenses, Canon has also thrived because it knows what it's doing in R&D and subsequent marketing. This EOS RP camera, if relased close to what the specs reveal, should be an immediate hit and earn Canon boatloads of money. At a size and general configuration comparable to existing Rebels,  many will pick it up and feel at home in short order. While pros and spec-sheet warriors will continue to cry their eyes out beause an entry-level FF mirrorless camera isn't on par with their 1DX, Canon is reportedly developing a 100+ megapixel mirrorless camera they can Ooo-and-Ahh over. Till then I think the RP will meet the needs of its intended market perfectly. And at an entry-level price. 

Announcements